What alternative to metformin

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, diagnosed type 2, 5 years ago now. Last check up readings have shot up for no apparent reason. Doubled dose of metformin to 2000mg per day but still no change even with lowering carbs to 100gm per day. Morning level is around 10ish, used to be lower. Doc said about adding other meds at next check if it isnt down. Just wondered if anyone else is on diffferent oral med's?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not type 2, but I think that the doc will put you on something like glicizide or a gliptin, depending on your blood results. Insulin will not be probably prescribed yet, though I may be wrong!

Hope somebody else will give you an answer.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Perhaps lower carbs to less than 50 per day? Stick to real food and eliminate processed foods - the stuff in boxes and plastic containers with lots of man made chemicals in the ingredients list.

Also, I've recently done some intermittent fasting and my morning fasting levels have dropped a bit. You could try that. Just 1 or 2 days a week with nothing but water and black coffee. It's pretty easy to do if you are already on a low carb high fat diet.

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not type 2, but I think that the doc will put you on something like glicizide or a gliptin, depending on your blood results. Insulin will not be probably prescribed yet, though I may be wrong!

Hope somebody else will give you an answer.
Thanks for that info, hopefully a change will work..

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the NICE pathway for managing Type 2 and will show you about which medications will be introduced, depending on your blood sugar levels and HBA1c.
http://pathways.nice.org.uk/pathways/diabetes/managing-type-2-diabetes#path=view:/pathways/diabetes/blood-glucose-lowering-therapy-for-type-2-diabetes.xml&content=view-index

Tell us how you are managing your diabetes and a typical day's menu and we may be able to help you with your food choices to see if that will help.
Thanks, I've looked and it says another med, so hopefully it works.Ive just done 2 weeks on low carb no more than 100 gms, it made no difference and to be honest I found it very difficult. I dont eat junk food, only fresh produce. Wholegrain everything. So 1 slice of toast for breakfast, 2 slices for salad sandwich for lunch and for tea meat or fish with veg eg. broccoli sprouts cauli, small helping potatoes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for that info, hopefully a change will work..
If you stick to a low carb I don't see why not!
If the doc does put you on glicizide or something similar, you need to test to see what is going on!

Hope this will help, let us know how you get on. Ask your doc questions!

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps lower carbs to less than 50 per day? Stick to real food and eliminate processed foods - the stuff in boxes and plastic containers with lots of man made chemicals in the ingredients list.

Also, I've recently done some intermittent fasting and my morning fasting levels have dropped a bit. You could try that. Just 1 or 2 days a week with nothing but water and black coffee. It's pretty easy to do if you are already on a low carb high fat diet.
Hi, I only ever eat proper food, never processed.I've tried low carbs 100gms aday but found it difficult so how you manage on 50 I dont know. I dont want to spend time cooking for lunch, so a sandwich is good. I have wholegrain everything.Tea is meat or fish with veg.By the way the low carb thing didnt make a difference to my readings. I just think the metformin isn't working anymore . I'll see at the end of June next check up.As it happens I went shopping today for 4 hours without food and felt a bit faint. When I got home blood test said sugar had dropped to 7. That's one way of doing it, expensive way tho lol...

chrissiemids

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you stick to a low carb I don't see why not!
If the doc does put you on glicizide or something similar, you need to test to see what is going on!

Hope this will help, let us know how you get on. Ask your doc questions!
Will do , altho I think if I quote google again, he will ban me.I have been testing mad and now need more strips.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just don't mention Google!
Tell him that the reason you need more is to make sure the meds are working!