What am I doing wrong (keto, exercising, not losing weight)

randymyers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I checked my log and my fasting blood glucose level dropped from 116 mg/dl to 103 mg/dl after just 36 hours after starting the low carb\ketogenic, less than 25 grams of carbs a day, way of eating. Real weight loss took a lot longer. But since I was\am doing this for health reasons I have been concentrating on my metabolic syndrome issues.
DATE Weight pounds
  1. May 11 248 Started low carb\ketogenic woe with <25 grams of carbs a day
  2. May 30 239
  3. July 5 229
  4. July 17 224
During the first couple weeks after I started eating low carb, my friends commented that I had lost weight even though my scale did not show any change.
Be patient, this way of eating works.

I was diagnosed prediabetic just under two months ago.

I am working on macros of 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. I weigh and log EVERYTHING that passes my lips (much to the amusement of my colleagues when I insist on putting my own milk in when they make a cup of tea.) my calorie goal is 1500 a day

I am exercising regularly, at least 4 times a week minimum. Each session is around 45 minutes. Heart raising stuff like swimming, aerobics and some yoga. Last week I burnt just under 4000 calories, this week it’s around 3000 currently.

I weigh, measure and take pictures every Saturday. I do jump on the scales the odd time throughout the week for peace of mind but only log weekly.

Sorry boys...... period arrived on Sunday and has now finished (added that in just in case it makes any difference whatsoever.)

I use ketostix sporadically which put me in the 1.5- 4 category.

Last Saturday I had not lost any weight at all. This morning I am still showing the same weight. I have lost 10lbs overall since I started (I completely embraced a carbolicious week in New York) and that has been through two ‘golden weeks’ of around 4lbs weight loss and then the odd lb another week. Those two good weeks were when I converted to LCHF in the first week and the week after NYC.

I am thoroughly at a loss as to where I’m going wrong! I have my next blood test in a month and I am going to be devastated if all this hard work isn’t showing an effect on my HbA1c level.

Last edited:

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I checked my log and my fasting blood glucose level dropped from 116 mg/dl to 103 mg/dl after just 36 hours after starting the low carb\ketogenic, less than 25 grams of carbs a day, way of eating. Real weight loss took a lot longer. But since I was\am doing this for health reasons I have been concentrating on my metabolic syndrome issues.
DATE Weight pounds
  1. May 11 248 Started low carb\ketogenic woe with <25 grams of carbs a day
  2. May 30 239
  3. July 5 229
  4. July 17 224
During the first couple weeks after I started eating low carb, my friends commented that I had lost weight even though my scale did not show any change.
Be patient, this way of eating works.

Patience I’d definitely difficult! But thank you, it’s good to know I’m not the only one :)

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Ok my twopence worth. Too many calories. We are all made differently with differing BMR etc. so the one size fits all calorie recommendations are not often right. Nonsense on turning fat into muscle as the difference is negligible . Losing muscle will drop your weight and it's possible to lose muscle mass quite quickly. But putting on muscle weight? Not nearly so fast.
My 'recomended calorie intake for dieting is around 1600 per day.
I lose weight steadily at under 1000. Anything more just doesn't do it. I'm losing 1.5 to 2kg a month steadily.
The simple fact is that, for you, 1500 calories is too much. Drop it to 1250 and see how that works over 2 weeks.

Reactions: smc85

dipsydo

I think we are all different. I lost very gradually ,then stalled for 4 weeks and suddenly lost 7lbs in a week , stalled again this time for 6 weeks then lost 7 lbs in a week . In total lost 4 stone or so over 6 months . I ate to my meter and did not count the calories but when I stalled I made sure that I ate only 0.8 per kilo of the weight I wanted to be ie if I want to weigh 80 kilo so aimed for protein of 64 gm of protein per day also at least 1.5 to 2 litres of water a day. I eat about 60gm of carbs and aim to finish meals before 6pm . Some of these ideas may help you. I found that even if I did not lose weight that if my meter showed normal blood sugar that kept my moral up and encouraged me .

Reactions: smc85

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also think too many calories for weight loss. I have a new fitbit and on a day when I'm on my feet ALL day (25k steps) it estimates I got through 2,200 calories. You may well find the exercise you're doing isn't burning as much as you think. Plus we all have a tendency to eat more post exercise because it feels justified!

smc85

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also think too many calories for weight loss. I have a new fitbit and on a day when I'm on my feet ALL day (25k steps) it estimates I got through 2,200 calories. You may well find the exercise you're doing isn't burning as much as you think. Plus we all have a tendency to eat more post exercise because it feels justified!

I use my Apple Watch to track the calories when I’m working out