What are your alcohol rules?

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
I stopped drinking alcohol back in the late 70's and haven't touched a drop since. I never did enjoy drinking and don't miss it either. My friends and family got used to me drinking tea while they drink and if they didn't like it if I didn't join them I couldn't/wouldn't care less anyways. LOL

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love beer, but it's a no-no as it raises my BG too much. Dark rum and diet coke or red/white wine doesn't raise my BGs.

I still sometimes go out in the ale as a treat though.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
White wine -only drink Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc and then only at £5 a bottle or less.
Well, it is a rule that works for me :)

Oh, and beer should be 5% or more and £2 a litre or less.

Don't drink blended whisky (unless it is an exceptional blend of single malts).

Real champagne is nearly always better than Cava or other method champenoise fizzy wines.

Port should be Late Bottled Vintage.

Oh, and never drink beer before breakfast uless you are really thirsty. :lol:

I'm sure that there are more but I'm having a little trouble with my memory this time in the evening......

Cheers

LGC

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
I drink carefully now. I had an awful day following a lot of gin the night before. I was sick and dipping below 4 the whole day and couldn't keep anything down. Another time I had a bottle of red and miscalculated and woke up an hour later, sweating, heart pounding and a reading of 2.8...

I drink at home or close friends/family. soda water and diet tonic a plenty, I test every 2 hours t if I'm going high I stop and if I start to drop I have a snack. Gone are the carefree days but it's so not worth throwing caution to the wind. Now I'm doing early morning runs so an incentive not to drink at all sometimes!

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I drink mainly spirits now,vodka and sprite lite,Jack Daniels and a dash of Pepsi Max or just a single malt whiskey on it's own(as it should be).
I don't have any rules as such although I don't drink on an empty stomach and if I was to really go for it on a rare occasion I would forego my bedtime insulin shot to be safe but that's not meant as advice,it's just me.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all!

Well, I've been away for a while, so I have been drinking rather too much!

I only drink wine - usually dry white. Occasionally red, but I have to be very careful with red as it gives me bad headaches. All wine drops my BG, so i usually reduce my bolus insulin by half a unit if I'm having a couple of glasses of wine - and I make sure my BG is 6.5 before I go to sleep as it drops considerably overnight. I also have to be careful the next day because I wake up with good fasting levels and the breakfast bolus seems to work a lot better than usual, so i find myself going low 2 hours after my breakfast. I had a hypo at night after drinking without eating last week - woke up at 2.30am with a strange feeling. I tested and found I was at 2.8 - that scared me a bit, but at least I now know a hypo wakes me up even when I've had a good drink.

My only real rule at the moment, though, is not to drink enough to give myself a hangover. Hangovers and diabetes are not a great combination :lol:

Smidge