What can I do about Diabetic neuropathy

Nicole86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I already posted on another page but since it's older. I'm not sure if i will be answered. Anyways... I been dealing with my fingers feeling numb and sometimes feel like they could be on fire, it's a scary feeling. In the past 4 years it's happened off and on, nothing a shaking of my hand would make stop. This week, monday.It started now my hands are always cold,they been stinging like they have pins in them. I haven't slept well in the past few days because i been reading tons of stuff online. I walked into something called Diabetic neuropathy some of the symptoms sound familiar to what I'm dealing with, today i told my boyfriend and i been depressed the last few days, He said since I'm young (just turned 30 in the start of may) that my nerves should grow back if I started taking care of myself better but everything i seen online said once they die they can't be healed (i don't have insurance so i run out of meds and paying for the doctor bills are costly so taking care of diabetes can be difficult) I'm on insulin, i have type 2 diabetes. I also take metforin (sorry if not spelled right) i have a doctors appointment tomorrow to get test, my boyfriend thinks if i just get my blood sugar levels under control i can feel things and i just need to drink alot more water. Is there anything I can do to reverse Diabetic neuropathy or heal it?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably the first thing to do is make sure it is in fact neuropathy and not something else like carpal tunnel or even a B12 deficiency.

Your boyfriend is right though, many of us on this forum have reversed their diabetic neuropathy through control of blood glucose using a low carb diet. In my case, it was my feet that were the issue. They've continued to improve the longer I've been on the diet, though most of the improvement was in the first 6 months to a year.

Some people also swear by r-alpha-lipoic acid supplements for neuropathy.

Nicole86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Probably the first thing to do is make sure it is in fact neuropathy and not something else like carpal tunnel or even a B12 deficiency.

Your boyfriend is right though, many of us on this forum have reversed their diabetic neuropathy through control of blood glucose using a low carb diet. In my case, it was my feet that were the issue. They've continued to improve the longer I've been on the diet, though most of the improvement was in the first 6 months to a year.

Some people also swear by r-alpha-lipoic acid supplements for neuropathy.

I can't find anything r-alpha-lipoic acid supplements for neuropathy. Will this help with the healing? Or just the pain?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicole86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to the doctor today and he said I would be fine. He's scared about my pancreas not working at all now. so next month i have to go back in for another check in. Is there something I can do to try to do? Will working out and losing weight help or eating better be much help now? I'm at 170 pounds