What diabetes team?

Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I literally have no idea who my diabetes team actually are. I’ve had type 1 diabetes for 21 years and in that time was a little foolish and have paid the price by being diagnosed with proliferative retinopathy back in October last year. Since then, I have attended one diabetes appointment with a doctor who I had never seen before and didn’t show me any compassion. She was more robotic and talking from a script rather than anything remotely as caring or listening to what I was saying let alone assuring or giving me any advice. She simply said my 6.7 HBA1C was good but aim to lower it more and maybe add a fifth injection into my day, where I’ve only just adapted to doing all four every day rather than the two I clearly wasn’t getting away with. I’ve since had to look online for everything I need to know and how to handle the difficult time I’m going through at the minute. Is there any way or finding out contact information for my diabetes nurses and doctors? Do I have a specific one or is it whoever is available in the diabetes clinic? Also am I able to change diabetes doctor’s if I’m not getting on with the new doc?
Many thanks
Dweller

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Prior to the one appointment you mention, by whom and how often have you been seen in 21 since diagnosis?

Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had lots of different nurses and docs but appointments have been twice annually for a HBA1C check and another appointment for checking blood pressure, feet, waist etc.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having two diabetic appointments per year is something a lot would like.
I get two per annum and in some respects have had similar issues to yourself. Over the years some consultants have not been to my liking. They've not been at fault but more a case of just a type of person that I couldn't relate to. Likewise I'm certain there have been occasions when a consultant has found my approach not to there liking.
There is nothing wrong in asking to be seen by a consultant of your choice if available at your next appointment.
My clinic have a list of consultants on duty that day, it may mean a longer wait but at least you get to see who you prefer.
I've never found that I have a specific consultant who sees me, it usually happens that my notes just get put on a certain consultants pile to keep everything equal, unless I request to see someone in particular, then my notes go on that pile.

Reactions: Dweller

Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ll have to see next time about that. I feel bad though if they see that I’ve basically said no I don’t want them being my doctor anymore but I guess if it needs doing. I’ll see how she is next time. Maybe she just had a bad day or patient before me or something.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I literally have no idea who my diabetes team actually are. I’ve had type 1 diabetes for 21 years and in that time was a little foolish and have paid the price by being diagnosed with proliferative retinopathy back in October last year. Since then, I have attended one diabetes appointment with a doctor who I had never seen before and didn’t show me any compassion. She was more robotic and talking from a script rather than anything remotely as caring or listening to what I was saying let alone assuring or giving me any advice. She simply said my 6.7 HBA1C was good but aim to lower it more and maybe add a fifth injection into my day, where I’ve only just adapted to doing all four every day rather than the two I clearly wasn’t getting away with. I’ve since had to look online for everything I need to know and how to handle the difficult time I’m going through at the minute. Is there any way or finding out contact information for my diabetes nurses and doctors? Do I have a specific one or is it whoever is available in the diabetes clinic? Also am I able to change diabetes doctor’s if I’m not getting on with the new doc?
Many thanks
Dweller
You could visit the PALS site on the Hospital website. I did this several times to leave constructive comments, both negative and positive. I left one that had a direct bearing on the head of the team. She made sure she saw me the next time and thanked me for the criticism. We always got on well. Maybe you could just say that you don't feel that you are listened to sympathetically, or with your diabetic experience in mind? I know exactly what it's like to turn up to the following appointment even more apprehensively, but it always turned out better than I thought possible. Good luck!

Reactions: Dweller

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll have to see next time about that. I feel bad though if they see that I’ve basically said no I don’t want them being my doctor anymore but I guess if it needs doing. I’ll see how she is next time. Maybe she just had a bad day or patient before me or something.

Hi there Dweller - My interpretation of asking to see a particular Consultant wouldn't mean you don't like anyone/everyone else, it just means on that day you would like to see that particular person.

I've never been seen at a hospital clinic for, but I have seen a couple of Endocrinologists, for a different issue and much prefer one to the other - in terms of their apparent level of engagement and desire to sort out an issue.

Curiously enough, one of them I also know socially, and my preference wasn't for him.

I feel fairly sure that in the bigger picture, nobody would mind you having a preference. On the NHS, not seeing any given Doctor, doesn't cause the other Doctor any loss of income or whatever, and let's face it, their list for that day are still likely to be full to spilling.

Different folks have different preferences, and there could well be someone super-keen to be seen by the person not to your personal preference.

Good luck with it all.

leahkian

You have a choice of who you see and where, i changed my care from Durham to Newcastle because i was getting worse in my overall health and i new that i would need a transplant. I looked at the diabetic doctors who deals with transplants as well because this is where i would end up. From the very first time i saw him he gave me hope but also he asked me what i thought which was new to me, my 10 min appointment went on for a hour and the same the next week and ever since then i will see him even if i have to wait longer. He was there when we were talking about a kidney transplant and said why do we not do a kidney and pancreas at the same time, which we all said yes or i would have the kidney and a year later have the pancreas. So now when i got to different appointments i will only see the people who have been involved in my care as there is nothing worse than seeing a different doctor and having to explain every thing again. The diabetic doctor popped into my room the day after the op at 10pm just to see how i was doing. i said have you no home to go to he said yes but he had paperwork to do, doctors like this are hard to find and i do not no where i would be without him and the rest of my Freeman family.