What different ways do you use to keep a Dexcom sensor on for longer?

mossys

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I have tried various different ways of extending the life of a Dexcom sensor to stop it falling off. I usually wear them on my upper arm and after to weeks put Opsite Felifix on to try and keep it in place for longer.

I also wear the cut off of a sock. This seems to work well with keeping the sensor in place. **The socks are new and clean

I was just wondering what other weird and wonderful ways people use to keep the sensors on for longer?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @mossys . I use the G4 sensor and have no issues keeping it on, actually had one last 45 days last year. Usually average around 22 days, but the never come away, the sensors just die.
Tips for keeping them on for me.......
1. Shave the area prior to application.
2. Apply SkinTac.
3. Overlay with a Dexcom patch ( available off Amazon ).

I personally put the sensor on my waist, just above my belt line and to either left or right of my body.I find this less obtrusive and offers greater protection .
The patches stay in place usually around 14/ 17 days at which time I carefully peel away the old patch, clean the area , re apply SkinTac and overlay a new patch. Occasionally it may be necessary to use small sharp scissors to cut the patch away. The important thing is not to peel up the white adhesive patch around the sensor.
As I say this works for me. Active physical job and gym workouts and I haven’t lost one yet.
Hope this helps.:)

Reactions: mossys
D

Deleted Account

I used to use the G4.
I wore it on my belly and never had problems with it falling off and got some to last more than 3 weeks.
Like @therower i used SkinTac before applying the sensor.

However, I found the sensor became less active after repeated visits to the gym. I think my ab-curls would dislodge it a little.
I now used Libre on my arm and found it less sensitive to exercise (bicep curls have no impact).

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay . Interesting observation about ab curls. I’ve noticed similar issues if I do excessive amounts of rowing. Guess it’s down to location and constant flexing one way and another. Still not sure arm would be good for me though.