What do you dislike most about diabetes? Is there anything you like?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have to say that I am really surprised at some of the responses in this topic.The ones that surprise me most are those that talk about constantly having to plan everything and think ahead and having no spontaneity. Since I moved on to MDI 20 years ago, I wouldn't have said that was an issue at all. As long as you have glucose tabs with you and your insulin, I'd say that I was good for a week and don't need to plan within that!

Reactions: 8 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say that I am really surprised at some of the responses in this topic.The ones that surprise me most are those that talk about constantly having to plan everything and think ahead and having no spontaneity. Since I moved on to MDI 20 years ago, I wouldn't have said that was an issue at all. As long as you have glucose tabs with you and your insulin, I'd say that I was good for a week and don't need to plan within that!
I think it's mainly having to think about what food to eat is the issue for most

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything you choose as a T1. Just make sure you can carb/protein/fat count...
Well that maybe the case for type 1's but I am type 2 no meds so have to choose carefully as I have no insulin or meds to correct mistakes

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I dislike the fact that I'm very conscious that I have my life in my hands -which of course everyone has anyway - living without any hypo awareness has made me ultra aware that if I get my control wrong for any reason then I'm only ever a few mmol away from big trouble.

I like the fact that it has made me very aware not to assume anything about anyone. I don't look like someone with 75% of my sight missing and an insulin pump up my top.

Reactions: 7 people

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Well that's lovely. Congrats. I don't understand how the wonder that is diabetes had anything to do with it tho. Is your intended a doctor or nurse?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Anything you choose as a T1. Just make sure you can carb/protein/fat count...

I'm Coeliac and some places do not cater for Gluten free, Ikea is one :( It's not a big deal, but a little frustrating at times.

Reactions: 4 people

iamBlair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was only diagnosed back in March. One thing that gets me down is going out to eat. I tend to worry myself about when I need to inject and where I should do it, at the table? In the toilets? It does make it slightly less enjoyable when going out for meals. It's also a bit rubbish because I don't feel like I can just grab a bag of chips with some friends and walk along eating them, because I have no where to inject apart from on the street! I don't know...

But yeah, as others have said, it makes you more aware of the food you're eating, which is a plus! :)

Reactions: 10 people

Vanessa_M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate everything about it, I've been diabetic for 13yrs... It's so difficult to control... Been trying for 13yrs and still am... Hate the scar tissue as well it's so sore to inject :(...

Reactions: 6 people

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislike: the fact that it can be so unpredictable or be altered by pretty much anything (eg I'm on holiday at the moment and the change in temperature, routine, and time zone plus limited food information is a nightmare), and the fact that I've had to depend on other people a few times recently, especially at work with long days on my feet...it just makes me feel...almost powerless I guess. I also hate that few people understand how hard/frustrating it is to manage or why I'm so exhausted when I've been low all day even if 'your blood sugars are fine now'.

Like: it's made me (marginally) more organised (ignoring recently where I just seem to be giving up altogether), I've been in control of my own injections etc from a very young age so I guess it gave me independence to a degree as well...and it limits the amount of rubbish I eat!

Matt J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, the loss of spontaneity aspect of T1 diabetes is a big downside for me. However, as @tim2000s says insulin, carbs, bg meter and you're good to go. I normally carry them with me so I sometimes just do it anyway! :)

I also find it difficult explaining it to people. It should be straightforward - in simple terms the pancreas stops producing the hormone insulin and I therefore need insulin injections for the rest of my life. Leads to the inevitable questions - what's a hormone, what's insulin? The problem also is that it doesn't even scratch the surface of blood tests, hypos, complications, food etc, etc. In reality it is a very complex and hidden condition. If an asthmatic starts wheezing everyone can recognise that and they give themselves a puff from an inhaler. If a diabetic has a hypo most people around them wouldn't have a clue what was going on and even those who do know aren't always sure what to do. I'm 47 now and if I mention I'm diabetic to someone I don't know they say oh I expected you to be fat and it's caused by lifestyle isn't it? Arghh, I've had T1 for 29 years - I've never been fat and it's an autoimmune disease unrelated to lifestyle.

Without wanting to belittle the fantastic support our wives, husbands, partners and friends give us it's true that only another diabetic really knows what we have to go through.

As for things I like about it, erm.....err......erm....no, well I can't really think of any but I try not to let it bother me and just carry on and for the sake of myself and my daughters try and stay healthy and happy. :)

Reactions: 12 people
S

Shar67

Well due to other health issue, my memory is scrambled, and I forget to take lantus at night, then have to go through all the rigmarole of getting up out of bed, doing BS taking Lantus then back up to bed.
When I was diagnosed Diabetes Nurse asked if I had heard of any positives of being diabetic, yes free prescription, really save £140 a year, and I have sometimes used it as an excuse to get out of doing things.

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also find it difficult explaining it to people. It should be straightforward - in simple terms the pancreas stops producing the hormone insulin and I therefore need insulin injections for the rest of my life. Leads to the inevitable questions - what's a hormone, what's insulin? The problem also is that it doesn't even scratch the surface of blood tests, hypos, complications, food etc, etc. In reality it is a very complex and hidden condition. If an asthmatic starts wheezing everyone can recognise that and they give themselves a puff from an inhaler. If a diabetic has a hypo most people around them wouldn't have a clue what was going on and even those who do know aren't always sure what to do. I'm 47 now and if I mention I'm diabetic to someone I don't know they say oh I expected you to be fat and it's caused by lifestyle isn't it? Arghh, I've had T1 for 29 years - I've never been fat and it's an autoimmune disease unrelated to lifestyle.

Without wanting to belittle the fantastic support our wives, husbands, partners and friends give us it's true that only another diabetic really knows what we have to go through.

Ah totally with you on the explaining, a few times I've had a hypo at work, tried to get across that I need some sugar, and got the 'but you shouldn't be eating that if you're diabetic' response...I know its not other people's fault if they don't know about it but it frustrates me when they make presumptions about me!

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it helps I got around this by putting two columns on a bit of paper hypo and hyper what it meant and if need help this is what I need. That way they understood and didn't give silly replies or comments. Don't know if that helps

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, the loss of spontaneity aspect of T1 diabetes is a big downside for me. However, as @tim2000s says insulin, carbs, bg meter and you're good to go. I normally carry them with me so I sometimes just do it anyway! :)

As for things I like about it, erm.....err......erm....no, well I can't really think of any but I try not to let it bother me and just carry on and for the sake of myself and my daughters try and stay healthy and happy. :)
I'd it ever will help I put a presentation to get her for understanding diabetes and the psychie of it every want it just shout but it helped a personal training friend to help clients and understand nore

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I plan nothing .. Lmao . Maybe that is my problem . Complications are my biggest issue but at the same time they give me the reason to appreciate what does function well . I have been in DKA several times and after coming out of it I appreciate water so much more :))))

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My biggest dislike is a strange one. It's not about T1 itself but about people's perceptions. I hate a) how many people think I got T1 through my own fault and just assume it's due to poor eating habits etc. and b) how people assume I can't eat sugar or "treats" - this ends up making me feel guilty when I do eat something high in sugar/carbs. At work it's the worst, if someone brings in cakes or something for their birthday then nine times of out ten someone will make a comment to me about how hard it must be not being able to have cake or enjoy treats and how life must be so rubbish. When I explain I can eat a "normal" diet by counting carbs and injecting insulin appropriately it goes over people's heads and never clicks with them, or I get comments about "oh my god, I could never deal with injections, you poor thing....blah...blah". I had a small bar of dark chocolate at my desk the other day ... and got a look of aghast from a colleague who couldn't believe their eyes. When out for dinner with family/friends they always make a fuss too - I like that they care but I have pretty much worked it out for myself by now and if I want a high carb treat I know how to manage my levels and wish people would just forget about my T1!

The other thing is nights/sleeping. I have very tight control of my blood sugars during the day but I hate how it can be more difficult once you go to sleep and the worry of going high or low overnight and not being able to do anything about it (or, conversely, spending the whole night awake correcting highs or treating lows). We have enough to worry and think about during the day ... it would be so nice if we could at least "switch off" when we go to bed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The other thing is nights/sleeping. I have very tight control of my blood sugars during the day but I hate how it can be more difficult once you go to sleep and the worry of going high or low overnight and not being able to do anything about it (or, conversely, spending the whole night awake correcting highs or treating lows). We have enough to worry and think about during the day ... it would be so nice if we could at least "switch off" when we go to bed!
The funny thing is that my nights are very easy to predict how my BG level will operate since I changed to Levemir. On Lantus I had much less predictability and it does affect sleep.