What Do You Do For Fun?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Talented lady, any photos of your bears and dolls? I do my Sphynx cats, my hens and my horses for fun although they are more like hard work!!! They keep me poor so not a lot of money to squander on anything else but I love them and all the hard work keeps me (sort of) fit.
Sorry for the delay, I stopped getting notifications about responses. My cats are too lazy to be expensive, but our turtle, and shepherd with her training as an alert dog can be. I've only been riding on a horse once, but they're beautiful and definitely a lot of work.
I definitely take pictures, haha, I don't keep most of the bears and such I make, so I take pictures before giving them away. I like the dolls because I can take the materials in to hospitals with me to sew then usually send someone to the children's ward to give them to patients, which is what we did with the ones pictured, so many nurses and doctors had come to watch me work (I wasn't the patient that time) that the children's ward already knew we were coming to drop them off.
50s bears.jpg
dolls.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for the delay, I stopped getting notifications about responses. My cats are too lazy to be expensive, but our turtle, and shepherd with her training as an alert dog can be. I've only been riding on a horse once, but they're beautiful and definitely a lot of work.
I definitely take pictures, haha, I don't keep most of the bears and such I make, so I take pictures before giving them away. I like the dolls because I can take the materials in to hospitals with me to sew then usually send someone to the children's ward to give them to patients, which is what we did with the ones pictured, so many nurses and doctors had come to watch me work (I wasn't the patient that time) that the children's ward already knew we were coming to drop them off.
View attachment 28221 View attachment 28222

Pretty cool idea with the doll figures @Banrion na Beir ,

Sort of "guerrilla toy making?" :)

I rode horses back in my youth. They can be hard work. Especially in the winter.
My older sister makes dolls which tend to be fairies or pixie in nature..

Reactions: Cumberland
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pretty cool idea with the doll figures @Banrion na Beir ,

Sort of "guerrilla toy making?" :)

I rode horses back in my youth. They can be hard work. Especially in the winter.
My older sister makes dolls which tend to be fairies or pixie in nature..
It tends to be more it keeps me calm while forced to be idle in a hospital and they cost only a dollar or so to make. Also...bringing in a dress to hand sew could be a bit much. I enjoy seeing the reactions to them though, I started taking them with me to the hospital when I was a teen and made dolls for my five year old roommate and it just stuck with me as a habit.

I rode one once when camping, my work takes me to a lot of homes with horses so I get to see them a lot at least. I don't doubt that, I know there's a lot that goes in to keeping them.
That sounds like fun, I do more clothes and costumes than dolls and bears nowadays.

Reactions: Cumberland

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Banrion na Beir ,

Do you do a lot of camping?
I've done a fair bit of traveling either in my van & awning or backpacking with a tent from the UK into Europe as far as Poland & Italy. German & Dutch camping is great! :) France is very nice too.. :cool:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Banrion na Beir ,

Do you do a lot of camping?
I've done a fair bit of traveling either in my van & awning or backpacking with a tent from the UK into Europe as far as Poland & Italy. German & Dutch camping is great! :) France is very nice too.. :cool:
Not so much now as I did as a kid, I have a bad allergy to the sun, as little as five minutes of exposure and I have second and three degree burns, so it takes a lot of effort and extra layers to go outside during the day (we jokingly call it vampire syndrome because I all, but burst in to flame).
We never did anything like backpacking through countries, but that sounds amazing. My aunt was sent to backpack through Europe after she graduated high school, but it's so expensive to do something like that nowadays. My dad was really big in the four wheeling community with his jeep here though, so we had a lot of people sending us to different states so they could film him or be in parades. That's when we did most of our camping with his friends in that community, spent most of the trip in the jeep or hiking. We're only about two hours from the Grand Canyon, that's about as adventurous as we get to be now.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not so much now as I did as a kid, I have a bad allergy to the sun, as little as five minutes of exposure and I have second and three degree burns, so it takes a lot of effort and extra layers to go outside during the day (we jokingly call it vampire syndrome because I all, but burst in to flame).
We never did anything like backpacking through countries, but that sounds amazing. My aunt was sent to backpack through Europe after she graduated high school, but it's so expensive to do something like that nowadays. My dad was really big in the four wheeling community with his jeep here though, so we had a lot of people sending us to different states so they could film him or be in parades. That's when we did most of our camping with his friends in that community, spent most of the trip in the jeep or hiking. We're only about two hours from the Grand Canyon, that's about as adventurous as we get to be now.

Weirdly, I'm not much of a sun worshiper. I burn easy. Where as my younger sister only needs to look at a picture of the sun & tans.. :banghead:
Vehicle wise when camping? I use my Jap import van which are designed for camping trips! (Some are converted like mini RVs.) I had a four wheel,drive version for 10'years? The engine was the same as a Ford Ranger. I have a newer version now, but have been on rallies & meets in the UK & Europe with other owners..

I have a 2 week EU trip planed early next month, starting in Cherbourg France & ending up at the Hook of Holland with my wife & our dog. Catching the ferry back to the UK & dropping in on my sister in law in Suffolk on the way back.
We live in the south west.

It's the first time I've done Europe with a dog. Lol, seriously. I had to get a pasport for the animal.. (From what I can gather, it's some sort of border control "livestock" thing...)

Long story. The dog chose to live with us. We were planning a holiday in Japan, But didn't have the heart to leave the hound behind in a kennel.. :banghead:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Diakat
Yes I did, those were for my husband and I, we do a lot of dressing up, mainly Alice and the Mad Hatter or Mary Poppins and Bert. We dress up my service dog to match a lot, she was a waiter penguin for Mary Poppins, and was a black bear when I did a charity event as Merida from Brave.

@Jaylee That's how my older sister is, she tans and almost never burns. Same with my husband. I sit too close to a window in the house and I burn to a crisp.
That sounds like a lot of fun, I've only been in an RV once, we mostly just had tents or huddled up in the truck if we got rained out. We did mostly rock crawling, lots of broken axels, but living in the desert and surrounded by mountains, it was easy to find somewhere to play.

Wow, those trips sound amazing. Traveling with dogs can be interesting, my shepherd likes long drives, so we got lucky there. I haven't heard about needing passports for animals, but I know that if we took her to other country the service dog laws can be a lot different.
I think you're living my dream in traveling. The closest I've been to that much travel was being invited to be a costumer for a broadway tour, and I got too sick to do it so it never happened, haha.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Diakat
The only ones I have easy access to are as a bear and reindeer. We keep her costumes pretty simple so she's not uncomfortable. She loves the bear one, she brings it to me when she wants to wear it, likes to pose for people and doesn't like having to take it off.
Monster bear.jpg
Monster Deer.jpg

Reactions: Pipp and Jaylee

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Diakat Yeah, she's a bit of a ham about it. We just tell everyone she knows she's pretty and thinks she deserves worship like the goddess she was named after (Artemis).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, no no no... The most Scraps likes (regarding wearing cloth.) is getting covered in.a towel after a bath or walk in the rain...
He play fights whilst drying? Sort of a game we have.

image.jpeg

I've worn fancy dress in my time. Halloween as a member of the Bee Gees, I was mistaken as Elvis? (What with the long hair?!)
Then Shylock from Shakespeare's Merchiant of Venice.. (I was mistaken for the "Spanish inquisition.")
Rocky horror. "Sand person" from Star Wars. &'Ozzy osbourne.. Among others..

Ive also done "film extra" work in cheesy costume period dramas...

Reactions: Pipp
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jaylee Oh my goodness, too cute. To be fair, Artemis has been learning to wear a service vest since she was a couple months old, and it gets so hot here, she has learned to love her shoes--plus, they're bright blue so she gets more attention and likes to show off. At least we've learned she'll ignore the world if my blood sugar is low and do her job.

Gosh, Elvis, my grandmother won a date with him in her youth, said he treated her like a princess. I grew up with a family friend that was an Elvis impersonator, he'd do events and stuff, it was really fun. My brother was named after Elvis (well, his middle name), and funny enough, his son is actually his third or forth cousin on his mom's side. He's a big topic in our family.
I'm pretty involved in the comic convention scene here, and I'm a party entertainer (princess, balloons, face paint, arts and crafts, decor for events, and all the costumes and wigs for the company) so I spend a lot of time in costume for fun and work. I've convinced my boss I needed a balloon animal dress and things like that to have more fun. I had a little girl while I was working a party for balloons that was convinced I was Mary Poppins though and there was no convincing her otherwise.
I haven't been in any films, I'm kind of in a scene for a documentary my dad was in, and I did murder mystery theatre for a little bit, but mostly I like being backstage more, I like making things.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee Oh my goodness, too cute. To be fair, Artemis has been learning to wear a service vest since she was a couple months old, and it gets so hot here, she has learned to love her shoes--plus, they're bright blue so she gets more attention and likes to show off. At least we've learned she'll ignore the world if my blood sugar is low and do her job.

Gosh, Elvis, my grandmother won a date with him in her youth, said he treated her like a princess. I grew up with a family friend that was an Elvis impersonator, he'd do events and stuff, it was really fun. My brother was named after Elvis (well, his middle name), and funny enough, his son is actually his third or forth cousin on his mom's side. He's a big topic in our family.
I'm pretty involved in the comic convention scene here, and I'm a party entertainer (princess, balloons, face paint, arts and crafts, decor for events, and all the costumes and wigs for the company) so I spend a lot of time in costume for fun and work. I've convinced my boss I needed a balloon animal dress and things like that to have more fun. I had a little girl while I was working a party for balloons that was convinced I was Mary Poppins though and there was no convincing her otherwise.
I haven't been in any films, I'm kind of in a scene for a documentary my dad was in, and I did murder mystery theatre for a little bit, but mostly I like being backstage more, I like making things.

I see... So your hound is a "hypo alert dog!" Fantastic.
Lol, the closest my dog gets to letting me know I'm low is after the fact when I'm treating it? He strolls up, daps a paw on me then steps back in the hope I drop something...

Yep, I've built sets & "props", done sound or lighting for some theatrical productions in the past..

Hey! Maybe you should also dip a toe & say hello in the T1 sub fora chat thead "Type 1 stars are us?" :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jaylee She does both, but I have more issues with lows than highs. I can't feel that I've dropped until I'm about to have a seizure. She starts with touching my hand or leg with her nose and becomes more like an alarm the longer I take to check my levels, I've been smacked by a paw for being too slow. If I'm not able to help myself, another health problem renders me unconscious or I fall, she has a few things she's trained to do, bringing me my phone and purse, for example, if I've fainted for other issues. She also alerts for asthma attacks and is trained for bracing. She's pretty multi-talented.

I've mostly been costumes, but had friends with other shops, it can be interesting to see what all happens back stage.

I will look in to it, I've kind of glanced in looking around the site, but not much beyond that.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
we normally whippet race for fun but just lately not had time to train my whippet what with moving house and being in such a mess....they not too happy either with the move all their favourite walks have been disturbed now having to find new ones for them and having to watch where I am walking as many lanes here and I walked them down one the other day and in middle of no where a man was stood he said to me hello would you like to check me over while you are here, I looked at him amnd said what are u doing here are u the farmer he said No I am out for my walk ...it was hot at 8 am and the sun was getting warmer so i ignored what he said and and instead said you need get out of the sun before it gets to hot then carried on walking and watching my back in case he followed me.... laughs Not walked down there again yet but will my son says carry a knife mum ....laughs