What do you have for breakfast?

PickledPepper

This typically takes me from a waking BG of around 6 to around 7 after 2 hours. Basically a rise of 1 point after 2 hours - although if I have milk instead of yoghurt it goes up by about another 1 point.

Adm, you must check at 1 hour also. I was doing the 2 hour check like yourself before, then (on the advice of members of this forum), I started doing hourly ones as well. Lo and behold I found (in almost every case so far) that any spike was at its peak at 1 hour and went down or remained relatively static at 2 hours.

For instance I had 2 bacon, 2 eggs and mushrooms (sautéd in Benecol) with a single slice of Walburtons seeded brown bread the other day and it went:

9.3 (1 hr)
6.7 (2 hrs)
5.7 (3 hrs)

Had I not done the hourly one it would have looked like I was within levels with only the 2 & 3 hour readings.

The only exception I had to this was when I had a bowl of homemade soup made with savoy cabbage, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms with a knob of butter. Which went:

6.7 (1 hr)
7.2 (2 hrs)
5.2 (3 hrs)

===========================================================

Anyway, am I the only one having strange vegetable cravings in the morning?

Since diagnosis I have been craving broccoli quite a bit. Which is strange considering I couldn't really stand the stuff before. I noticed that it does seem to consistently lower bs levels slightly for me. I know it may gross some people out but I had some for brekkie this morning (I know, I know) with mushrooms sauted in Flora active. I went from a pre meal level of 6.6, to 7.1 at 1 hr and 6.2 at 2 hours.

Can't seem to get into the 5 zone however.

C

catherinecherub

Hi PP.

When your pre-meal readings are in the 5's is when you will get the results you desire. After the post 2hr test the readings should be as near to the pre-meal test as is possible. Some Endo's reckon that the peak is 75 mins after food but that's another story. :lol: :lol:

Your post meal levels are good and try not to worry too much as you are doing all the right things.
It is not a race or a competition so give yourself a pat on the back. :D

Catherine.

PickledPepper

Hi Catherine

I agree, there also seems to be a strong correlation between your fasting levels and what transpires during the rest of the day.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not racing btw, I just want to get to decent levels as fast as possible as my doctor and nurse pretty much told me that I am a potential dead man walking with my hba1c and cholesterol levels ...lol

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I usually have special K for brakfast I was told by my Diabetic nurse that this and Branflakes digests slowly so therefore gives a slow release.

bedshaped2000

pickled pepper wrote - For instance I had 2 bacon, 2 eggs and mushrooms (sautéd in Benecol) with a single slice of Walburtons seeded brown bread the other day and it went:

9.3 (1 hr)
6.7 (2 hrs)
5.7 (3 hrs)

try this same breakfast without the bread. i would put very good money that your 1 hour test wont be so high. i can tolerate most carbs now my weight has gone but bread is still a instant no no. even 1 slice of nimble bread which quotes 8g of carb per slice still sends me in double figures even with a slab of cheese. flax bread is the way to go lovely with marmite and cheese and you can have as much as you like or what your wallet can afford as it is expensive to make

PickledPepper

Absolutely Bedshaped

Did it without that tiny piece of so-called 'good' brown bread and was 6.7 at 1 hour, and exactly the same at 2 hours.

I'm currently experimenting with Burgens Soya/linseed bread but only having one slice is ****. Not even enough for a sandwich.....lol

Must look into flaxseed bread.

adm

PickledPepper said:
This typically takes me from a waking BG of around 6 to around 7 after 2 hours. Basically a rise of 1 point after 2 hours - although if I have milk instead of yoghurt it goes up by about another 1 point.

Adm, you must check at 1 hour also. I was doing the 2 hour check like yourself before, then (on the advice of members of this forum), I started doing hourly ones as well. Lo and behold I found (in almost every case so far) that any spike was at its peak at 1 hour and went down or remained relatively static at 2 hours.

For instance I had 2 bacon, 2 eggs and mushrooms (sautéd in Benecol) with a single slice of Walburtons seeded brown bread the other day and it went:

9.3 (1 hr)
6.7 (2 hrs)
5.7 (3 hrs)

Had I not done the hourly one it would have looked like I was within levels with only the 2 & 3 hour readings.

I'm not an expert at this, but to be honest I have doubts about the validity or need for taking 1 hour readings. I'd have to say that even for "normal" people eating a meal, their blood sugar would probably go over what we feel to be acceptable levels in the short term and that it's not really so important. I'd like to do some tests on this with "normal" friends of mine....maybe my wife could be co-erced.

To my mind, it's pretty obvious that it's going to take your body more than one hour after you eat to properly deal with excess glucose - whether you are diabetic or not, and I think that the problem is not so much the really short term spikes, but rather more medium term high levels (and of course longer term high levels). After all, it's going to take 20 minutes plus for the serum glucose levels to hit a peak after you've finished eating, then your body needs some time to deal with that glucose.

I think that worrying about the one hour levels might just be leading to unnecessary stress and I'd say the whole point of testing is to make sure that your body is dealing with any glucose load in a reasonable timescale - which I don't think 1 hour is, especially when dealing with complex carbohydrates which might take a longer time to be fully digested.

In conclusion, I think taking 1 hour readings might be interesting, but of little long term importance as it's too short a sample time to be meaningful - there's too much "jitter" in the system from an engineering perspective at that timescale.

Others will of course disagree with this viewpoint and I live to be educated!

Franky69uk

I find myself agreeing with adm on the need to test after 1 hour although I too accept that others will strongly disagree. "whats sauce for the goose....etc".I really think that the logic of adm's reasons for not testing at 1 hour are clear.
What really puzzles me though is the concern about readings which fall below the "ideal" suggested readings which I carry with me almost as a sort of bible. namely..
Fasting: 4.4 - 6.6
Before meals: 4.4 -6.6
2 hours after: 7.7 - 8.8
Before bed: 5.5 - 7.7

Am I being too complacent because I was (until now) happy to work within these perameters and am overjoyed at the occasional reading of around 5.7 before an evening meal?
And try as I might I really struggle to get my fasting BG reading under 7 although having said that this mornings was 6.5 barely within the guidelines.
My first ever reading in January was after breakfast and was 15 (Weetabix and half a banana). At the time I was around 15 stones in weight too. Now down to a healthier 13 stones ( but with still a bit to go) and following a GL diet my average daily reading (over a month) generally falls in the 6 mark .
I always though that it was the long term spikes which could lead to further complications. It certainly worries me to think that a reading of 9.7 taken after one hour but falling to 6.7 after 2 is going to lead to problems later.
If that is the case I think I'm going to be in bother.
Methinks there is a need for me to be better educated on this matter too.