1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What do you miss most from being diabetic

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by borderter, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Cake_maker

Cake_maker Type 2 · Newbie

I miss refined sugar, but not tempted to try. After putting on 4 stone in weight, due to two different anti drepressents; since being diagnosed with type 2 in January. I've lost , over 6 Stone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. spaceman

spaceman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

3. spaceman

spaceman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

well I still eat chrisps but now eat Salt and Shake

4. nailchewer

nailchewer Type 1.5 · Member

I used to just jump in the car and go wherever, when ever i wanted, now i have to plan so i guess i am still resisting the fact that i am a type 2 diabetic. (Denial)

I always test now before a journey, for safety and always carry a banana and water (just in case). I do not get lows and neither do i get many highs.

I love the fact that i am now very comfortable with my eating regime, if anything a little smug, i am glad that i know i have type 2 and have been looking after myself for the past 20 years ( Acceptance).

5. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

I do miss all the different fruit I used to eat - I especially miss bananas. :(

6. bowtimeiwon

bowtimeiwon · Newbie

I've been diabetic for 20 yrs, last ten on insulin. Always had 'orrible blood glucose readings, until I went zero carbs. So mainly I do miss a really good roast potato, but that is a very small price to pay for getting readings of 6 - 7 most of the day. Insulin dropping accordingly

7. Janet_rabbit

Janet_rabbit Type 1 · Active Member

Freedom to just go out on my bike or for a walk or run without having to think ahead and adjust insulin and make sure I have enough glucose tablets with me etc. It's so much easier now I'm on an insulin pump though, but the only down-side of that is that i can't wear some of my closer fitting dresses any more! Small price to pay though.

8. gbswales

gbswales · Well-Known Member

I make sure to build treats into my diet and that includes ice cream like mini magnum - it is actually easier with bars because the amount is controlled for you and the calories and carbs are on the packet

• Like Like x 1
  9. NinaB73

NinaB73 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Gosh been so long I can't remember not having the kit and caboodle!! When I was young and silly I used to go out on my bike for miles without anything (yes diabetic! my mum did NOT know!) I had no fear and didn't see my diabetes as anything different, stupid I know and these days I take the lot! Sometimes I am a bit slack and only have some crusty old glucose tablets in my coat pocket but hey I've come a long way!
    Seriously though I sometimes look at my friends and think how nice it would be not to have 'all that stuff' just to leave the house. 'what do they have in their handbags?' They would have to ditch a few things if they were diabetic!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. slipper

slipper Type 2 · Member

Belgium choc biscuits at Christmas and having the confidence to go out without a worry .

• Like Like x 1
  11. RuffsTheShake

RuffsTheShake Type 1 · Active Member

I guess I also miss the spontaneity and not having to take a bag with me everywhere. I live in a rainforest now and I get myself caught up in spiky vines a lot more with a bag haha. There are times I don't take it but then I have to only go for a limited explore otherwise I could hypo without any food with me... That hovering in your mind kinda ruins the experience. I would love to be able to explore these thousand acres like my childhood forest in Canada.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. hornplayer

hornplayer · Well-Known Member

I miss being able to just grab a meal with my colleagues between gigs. Low carb can be hard to find and any carbs before the gig and I get so thirsty I can barely play.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

My even temper I've become really argumentative and moody at times since becoming diabetic.mind you I always was a bit argumentative but never angry for no apparent reason.

• Hug Hug x 2
  14. emmay

emmay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I miss just eating, not thinking about anything but just enjoying what it is I'm about to have - how nice....
    I also miss starting my dinner/meals with everyone else as I need to test, work out the carb content etc then before you know it my brother in law is on his second helping and I've only just started !!!!
    And what about those odd little treats you can probably squeeze in one without taking insulin but when you walk passed the bowl 10mins later and fancy that 2nd one, its injection time!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. Babs_reek

Babs_reek Type 2 · Newbie

I miss Baking,having a glass of wine,x

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

1 glass of not sweet red wine is not that bad for blood glucose , actually 1 glass can lower ones blood glucose up to about 1 mmol, but only the first glass...because it blocks the liver a bit

17. JohnEGreen

Being able to say to other people See I told you what would happen if you didn't lose weight.

• Creative Creative x 1
  18. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

so wonderful and romantic as well... wow
    thanks for sharing those lovely family stories ,

yes my mothers family was also farmers and my grand father could do so many Things with his hands actually almost all kinds of hand-work

19. JohnEGreen

Thinking of Grandmothers, makes me think of the pasties mine used to make that could only just be fitted in the oven cross wise, and the Steak and kidney puddings with a suit crust two or three inches thick steamed for hours on the hob, or her Yorkshire puddings cut in to squares you could eat like a cake all things I would have to forego if she was still around to cook them.

I was only ever allowed half of one of her pasties when I was young a complete one was just too much to handle.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

what White Trash what a tittle ...

are you from the States ?

I am from Denmark , lately I´ve been thinking of my grand fathers skills, I think he must have learned stuff and mending and taking care of his house and little farm with some traditions going all the way back to the Vikings... but really they could create everything themselves in the old days out in the countryside....

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook