What do you take when hypo on Low Carb Diet?

sugarleveller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 2 but take both insulin and metformin. I am trying the 8 week blood sugar diet (only on 3rd day), I reduced my lantus in prepapration and last night, I reduced my humalog to 1/3 of what I would normally, then I went hypo 2 hours after. I had exercised beforehand.

I ate a banana and then woke up at 2am hypo again - so I settled for a tracker muesli bar (completely not in the diet). I have clearly failed the diet and gone above the calorie limit. Tonight, I will try no humalog when I eat and see. I guess I am still adjusting.

Before you ask, yes, I have seen the doctor who is delighted with me to start a proper diet. They advised me that I have enough experience in self-dosage and to be careful and document everything. I am seeing that clearly the diet is reduces sugar levels very very quickly.

I just wanted to know what other people do when their sugar levels drops on the low carb diet.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Treat the hypo the same way as you would if you weren't following the diet.

Reactions: 2 people

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
Have the lucazade standing by. I find that if I am hypo, since low carbing I do not need as much correction as previously. Usually take 10/15g of carb and re test 15 mins later. Usually back to normal functioning level by then. If not repeat.

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on a very low carb diet, i.e. I try to take about 30g of carb per day, not sure but I'm pretty sure I'm below 50 most of the time.
Before I used to try to do the 15g carb, wait 15 minutes routine, I often could not take it and had to eat more before 15 minutes was up. and I normally ended up very high.
Now I eat Dex4, which is sugar tables of 4g carb, I eat 1/2 or 1 and it is normally ok. I'm rarely low and most of the time its about time to eat anyway. The enormous craving for carbs when low is rarely present.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too. 1/2 or 1 Dex4. I go up about 7 per 1 carb. Very carb sensitive. Learned a radish would raise me back to the 80's if I was in the 70 s. I don't hypo as much with lower carb Lowe insulin so much easier to correct without over shooting

Just me though.

Reactions: 2 people