What does the future hold?

test_positive

OK, so I know this is a daft question in a way - I could get run over by a bus tomorrow after all.

I'm newly diagnosed T2 and hope to be able to manage through diet & exercise for some time. This site has been wonderful in giving me pointers on things to try that might enable me to do this.

Let's say I manage to 'control' my diabetes through lifestyle. Is it inevitable that one day I will need to take drugs like metformin? Is it inevitable that one day I will suffer from some of the terrible complications? Or is it possible to manage through lifestyle for ever (and avoid buses)?

It's when the doctor says "Hopefully you can manage the diabetes through lifestyle for some time before you need drugs" that makes me think the complications are inevitable. But are they?

Mileana

That will be an individual thing, I think.

I know that some type 2s on here have been in remission (normal blood glucose, no or little meds) for years.

There are arguments that type2 is a progressive illness/condition in that too high blood glucose levels will lead to your pancreas becoming less efficient as well as your insulin sensivity generally tends to decline over the years (and with excess weight should you have any.)

However, there are also voices saying that if you manage to keep your blood glucose levels normal over time and avoid or drastically cut down on carbohydrates, this is not a given.

My advice is to do all that you can, but if you need meds at some point, it is better to take the meds than risk complications. Having to take a few pills a day is definately preferable to complications.

If diet, exercise, meds etc keep your blood glucose near or at the level of a normal person, you are unlikely to get complications. Some people are more vulnerable than others when it comes to these changes, and some much less. This, combined with how long you were diabetic before diagnosed, how well you are able to manage it after diagnosis and a few other things will affect this, so again, it is truly hard to tell.

In any case, your best bet is to do the best you can to be as close to normal as you can - and if that includes a pill a day, then I'd take it. But do look into low carbing, it appears to be the best way of managing it without meds or on minimal meds.

Good luck avoiding the busses :)