What Does Your Cat Eat?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dry food? Canned? Raw? Homemade?

I ask because my 14-year-old is very finicky, and just when I think I have found a canned food she likes, she goes off it. It doesn't matter if it's one of the pricey ones or the grocery-store brand. I've been hoping I could switch her to mostly canned food instead of dry food, for her weight. She is not overweight (lost a pound last year) but I don't want her to gain weight as she gets older. I also don't want her to get too much protein, for the sake of her kidneys, which are healthy now. She has free choice dry food out 24/7.

I would just like to know what other teen-aged cats eat. ^. .^

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Here’s an oddball response- does your cat have a dental issue?

Our big Siamese cat is a picky eater but became worse. We couldn’t figure it out. Finally took him to the vet and he needed some bad teeth extracted. Afterwards, he’s still a picky eater but I can always find him something to eat. He eats canned cake food, and likes to crunch hard cat food on the floor (he knows how to make a mess with this).

We do have bisque cat foods available. They are sauces. Some are hit, and some are miss, so don’t over commit to them until you know. I know one variety makes him gassy, so I do not buy that one.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @Jollymon . She just saw the vet last fall and checked out fine. She has no problem eating food she likes, she just seems to get bored with it halfway through even the little 3.5-oz. cans. I thought she might be losing her sense of smell a bit, but no -- she knows the second I open a can of people fish! And the tuna-and-shrimp food that smells VERY fishy and shrimpy gets boring just as quickly as anything else.

One of my best friends has 3 Meezers!

Reactions: Jollymon
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, our cat Pebbles, mainly eats dry cat food, but she does get some fresh meat and tuna too, she has never been fussy :cat: she is 8 years old. My son has two cat's, both males and they are really fussy eater's, they like a certain type one day, then the nest day, they turn their noses up at it and won't eat it :rolleyes:

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Lily1042

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a Burmese who is over 16 now and she is a picky eater. One day she will eat certain wet food the next day refuses it. There is always dry food as well but rarely bothers with that. She does have teeth problems but vets do not want to do anything as they think she is at high risk to go under an anesthetic because of kidney problems. I am supposed to feed her a low protein diet but most of the time she just prefers chicken. It’s hard because you try to do your best but at the end of the day cats will only ever eat what they want to!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Both of ours are ultra fussy eaters. They pick at whatever goes in their bowls.

Reactions: Freema

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Four of my cats ate kibbles until they died. The half-meezer who had thyroid issues by about 12 was a picky eater, and by that time we had two others who ate anything. We switched to canned paté with lots of water to keep further urinary problems at bay for the males, and the thyroid female got fancy foods in little cans, with pickiness. I put her down at 15 because she continued downhill and was probably diabetic too. So the two remaining males, 15 come Easter, get the canned with water, and one of them goes across the street for the free buffet in the driveway.... ugh!
Our most adventurous cat, long gone, craved cucumber and cantaloupe. He could count to two half moons of cuke! Two others have loved black beans, plain or in olive oil. One of those (a current one) will steal anything on the menu. Fast as a snake, he is! Cooking is a pain because nothing At All can safely be left out except fruit and vegetables - so long as they are perfectly plain!

D

Deleted member 308541

Our two cats were fussy eaters as they were used to fresh meat from where I worked of some description. I found this out when the vet phoned me up and said the black cat was trying to bury what they had given it to eat.

They also liked one brand of cat tinned food Snappy Tom, they used to snack on dry biscuits during the day.

A pix of Deefer and Rinso.

2y27zEk.jpg

Reactions: Freema and SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely cats! I have not heard of Snappy Tom cat food -- love the name!

D

Deleted member 308541

Lovely cats! I have not heard of Snappy Tom cat food -- love the name!
Thanks, they were great cats they needed a good brushing in that pix as they had lots of loose hair. That was supposed to be the kids job.

The flavour of Snappy Tom they liked was Seafood Platter

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. Yes, she is healthy. She eats very well as long as the food is to her liking. We have finally settled -- for now -- on a canned food called Sheba. It costs about twice as much as some of the other canned foods, but she eats it much more consistently, and I'd rather pay more and have her eat it than pay less and throw half of it away.

sunny_alice

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't tell exactly from this, but are you switching flavors, textures, etc. from day to day? My kittens are not too picky about the type of food they eat, but they will not eat the same food two days in a row. My grandmother's cat is also like this.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sheba comes in about half a dozen varieties and I swap them out from day to day or meal to meal. Her blood work came back last week all normal, and she is still enjoying the Sheba along with her dry food and occasional treats of people meat and fish and cat treats.

Reactions: Freema

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My girl is only 3 but is so fussy. She will only eat Sheba, but even that is hit and miss from day to day... I have to buy a real assortment. Dried biscuits are easy, she eats any. Cats are so finicky. Even if I open a tin of tuna for her she isn't interested.....unless it's on my plate and it's my dinner haha.
FB_IMG_1544524216630.jpg