What happened?

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Hi just want to see anyone else's opinions on what happened to me last night. I decided to have a handful of sugar free sweets from Lidl - not something I would normally do but just fancied them. During the day I had levels of 8 which can, for me be normal. Moving on to the evening we ate late it was about 9pm something I try not to do but it happened. Went up to be about 10:30pm but started to feel very cold, got upstairs and was shivering and felt nauseous. Had a shower shivering all the way through, got in bed - the same. Started to feel very ill, anxiety through the roof, shivers, felt like I needed the loo, feeling sick, dizzy, blurred vision. Spent half an hour in the bathroom not knowing which part of the body to deal with first lol. Eventually got back in bed took my bg and it was 6.8. I have had a few lower readings 6, 6.7. 6.4 when I have tested about 4 hours after food as I have forgotten to test, this has happened quite a bit recently. So did I have a false hypo. My last meal was a naked burger with a grilled mushroom, lettuce and a bit of tomato. Have eaten this before - but obviously not later on in the evening. Personally I suspect it was the sugar free sweet I had before I went up for a shower, and the sugar free sweets I had during the day. They are in the bin now - all 3 unopened packets :grumpy: It was almost like a panic attack (which I do suffer from) but with weirder symptoms:bigtears:.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you’re normally around 8 and didn’t go below 6 I wouldn’t expect that to cause a false hypo. The difference is normally quite a bit more.

The sugar free sweets definitely get my vote. There’s some quite entertaining posts on the web about what these can do to the body. Explosive and unpleasant would be a good summary. Check which sweetener it was in them and avoid it in future (unless constipated when it might be quite useful in smaller doses)

Reactions: VashtiB

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
If you’re normally around 8 and didn’t go below 6 I wouldn’t expect that to cause a false hypo. The difference is normally quite a bit more.

The sugar free sweets definitely get my vote. There’s some quite entertaining posts on the web about what these can do to the body. Explosive and unpleasant would be a good summary. Check which sweetener it was in them and avoid it in future (unless constipated when it might be quite useful in smaller doses)
Hi will do, I still think it might have been a false hypo but will check the sweetener it says "Isomalt, Sucralose 7%" I am thinking it might have been the Isolmalt as the Sucralose I have had before and been okay with - in small doses! I also read the packaging of the burgers 70% beef and the rest was rice flour, gram flower and spices. Think the rice flour did me no favours - they were Lidl's also, they will be off the menu. Usually get burgers from somewhere else but did not check the ingredients on these ones. Coupled with late eating and feeling exceptionally cold I don't think it all helped. Just checked reading before food and it is 7.2 I am happy with that :)