What happened?

nannoo

Hi all. I am in the process of getting my blood sugars under control, and testing various foods to see what works and what doesn't. Yesterday I had scrambled egg and bacon for breakfast and my BS were 8. Today I had porridge with Splenda and they were 20 (my sugars are very often this high, my doctor is aware). I had Splenda on my porridge. I thought a small amount of that would be OK. what happened? And what else can I have for breakfast - I really can't face egg and bacon, or any other meats, at 6.30 in the morning.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
It's the porridge that caused the spike,Nannoo,not the splenda! Some people can eat porridge without spiking and some can't.Graham has been experimenting by using ground almonds to replace some of the porridge ,try doing this and see is it makes a difference.

nannoo

Thank you Sue. So what can I eat for breakfast, when I really can't face eggs, or meat, or vegetables so early in the morning?

Jo123

I can't do eggs very well in the mornings either, I like unsweetened soy yoghurt with almonds, or full fat greek yoghurt with almonds, both keep my BG to normal levels and fill me up till lunch.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Powdered Splenda contains a little carb.Not much though. the tablets are zero carb.
How about making toast with Fergus's bread?
Yu'll have to make the bread first though
that's what I'm having tomorrow morning
Hana