What happens when you get ill with T1D?

Becky2804

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, hope everyone is doing okay? I was diagnosed with T1D 5 years ago now, but since then I haven’t been seriously ill or really even ill (apart from the usual cold/sniffles etc). With everything that’s going on at the moment I was just curious as to what happens when you have diabetes and something like the flu so as to be prepared- why are we high risk (feels like a stupid question, is it the risk of ketones/dka?).. and how have people found managing their t1d with getting a bad illness? X

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Becky2804, as far as I understand, because type 1 is an autoimmune condition, our immune systems are compromised so we are not able to fight infections as well as a 'healthy' person. There is the added considerations of high bgs and risk of ketones. Some people with diabetes find that it takes them longer to get over illnesses and they may be affected more than other people. Some medications can also affect bg, such as steroids. I think it depends on the illness as to how/how much it can affect your diabetes, I have a horrible cold at the moment, but my bloods are fine and I have no ketones. I've had colds and viruses before and found that my high bgs and ketones just don't want to budge. If you are not sleeping well that can also add to high bgs.
Sometimes managing my diabetes with other illnesses is fine, sometimes it's a right pain in the backside. I think the best thing you can do is make sure you have a good supply of test strips and ketone strips, make sure you have plenty of insulin, needles, lancets, batteries and whatever else you normally use. Make sure you are familiar with sick day rules and have your DSNs number handy in case you need it :)

Reactions: Becky2804

Becky2804

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Becky2804, as far as I understand, because type 1 is an autoimmune condition, our immune systems are compromised so we are not able to fight infections as well as a 'healthy' person. There is the added considerations of high bgs and risk of ketones. Some people with diabetes find that it takes them longer to get over illnesses and they may be affected more than other people. Some medications can also affect bg, such as steroids. I think it depends on the illness as to how/how much it can affect your diabetes, I have a horrible cold at the moment, but my bloods are fine and I have no ketones. I've had colds and viruses before and found that my high bgs and ketones just don't want to budge. If you are not sleeping well that can also add to high bgs.
Sometimes managing my diabetes with other illnesses is fine, sometimes it's a right pain in the backside. I think the best thing you can do is make sure you have a good supply of test strips and ketone strips, make sure you have plenty of insulin, needles, lancets, batteries and whatever else you normally use. Make sure you are familiar with sick day rules and have your DSNs number handy in case you need it :)

Thankyou! :)

Reactions: sleepster