What have you bought when shopping with low blood sugars?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I am very irrational when hypo, and despite being allergic to shopping for stuff to wear I have been known to shop while hypo for expensive items of clothing and jewellery. I have a beautiful pair of large handmade silver earrings and a gorgeous handmade sweater both purchased from art shows while 'under the influence', and ever since buying them have been doing my very very best to decrease their average cost-per-wear by wearing them ALL the time.....

Gulp.

I don't have the money for such behaviour. It really bothers me.
#Snapsyneedssupervision

:nailbiting:

If they're well made and beautiful they'll outlast the beastly chimera 'fashion'! You've made me envious. I can feel the money-worry - that awful pit of the stomach dropping - too.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I changed our gas and electricity supplier. I have no recollection of doing this, but the new company said someone had been going door-to-door in our area, and there was the paperwork with my signature on. Husband was unamused, at least until he realised he could guilt them into a discount for taking advantage of someone not mentally all there.

Ha ha, he could also surf the net for the best value for money supplier and change again.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If they're well made and beautiful they'll outlast the beastly chimera 'fashion'! You've made me envious. I can feel the money-worry - that awful pit of the stomach dropping - too.
When I bought the earrings, @Fairygodmother , I was at the art show with my mum - I really really wanted them, and we both knew I was 3.9 (which I'd had glucose for already), and we were planning a return trip to the same show with family the next day, so when we left it was a case of 'well, you can decide tomorrow', followed by (when I demanded in stroppy hypo fashion that the car be turned round so we could go back NOW) my mum saying 'Are you sure you're not wanting to do this just because you're hypo?', and me insisting that I was fine (in blood sugar terms by then I was, but I wasn't at all myself yet).

We went back. I bought the earrings. Loved them so much I put them on immediately. Realised that the price tag meant this was a really bad idea. Too late. DOH!

For the record, they're beautiful, and well worth the price tag - they're really nicely made, and are an original design, and there's a lot of silver in them - it's just that the price was rather out of my range.

One lives and learns! For the record I am over 40 but behave like a child when hypo-shopping!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When I bought the earrings, @Fairygodmother , I was at the art show with my mum - I really really wanted them, and we both knew I was 3.9 (which I'd had glucose for already), and we were planning a return trip to the same show with family the next day, so when we left it was a case of 'well, you can decide tomorrow', followed by (when I demanded in stroppy hypo fashion that the car be turned round so we could go back NOW) my mum saying 'Are you sure you're not wanting to do this just because you're hypo?', and me insisting that I was fine (in blood sugar terms by then I was, but I wasn't at all myself yet).

We went back. I bought the earrings. Loved them so much I put them on immediately. Realised that the price tag meant this was a really bad idea. Too late. DOH!

For the record, they're beautiful, and well worth the price tag - they're really nicely made, and are an original design, and there's a lot of silver in them - it's just that the price was rather out of my range.

One lives and learns! For the record I am over 40 but behave like a child when hypo-shopping!

Me too, on both counts, can be really embarrassing for my children but fun for my grandchildren

Reactions: Snapsy and Diakat

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars

Wishing there was a "love the story but also want to hug you for it" button.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wishing there was a "love the story but also want to hug you for it" button.

Soooooo glad it's struck a chord. I think we sometimes tend to blame ourselves for things that are just part of the condition.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
Needed some underwear. Popped off to Tescos cos I am a girl in budget. Came home with a multipack of turquoise leopard print knickers...
What was I thinking!
I never go clothes shopping now when feeling low.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
But are they comfortable!

Reactions: dancer

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, odd rare hypo day. All day. It didn't want to come up.

Black boots, 3 sweaters and a belt. At least I didn't get my usual...a handbag.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad but I like them all. Now I just have to pay for them haha

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yup, odd rare hypo day. All day. It didn't want to come up.

Black boots, 3 sweaters and a belt. At least I didn't get my usual...a handbag.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad but I like them all. Now I just have to pay for them haha
Actually that sounds like quite a sensible hypo shop.

Reactions: Kristin251

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bananas................. 6 or 7 as I recall.
Ate them all in about 5 minutes.
Was very very sick for rest of day, apparently a bit to much Pottassium, which isn't good for you.
Great light hearted thread by the way.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Surely @Fairygodmother can fix this for us?

The only way I can fix it is to say ENJOY the stuff you bought (unless it makes you sick)! Wish I could do more, but I sold my wand on eBay for a measly 2p

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The only way I can fix it is to say ENJOY the stuff you bought (unless it makes you sick)! Wish I could do more, but I sold my wand on eBay for a measly 2p

Seriously, though, I'm hoping that research and availability will eventually give all T1s CGM linked to automatic insulin/glucagon release. There are so many variables affecting control that it's hard to be perfect all the time. At least as things stand we can enjoy the rare incidents when we go stupid but aren't a threat to others, and we can have sufficient control to be sure that we never are a threat to others!
It took me a very long time to persuade the Consultant to send me on a Dafne course. I'd had T1 for 42 years, my HbA1C was always good and he thought I must know it all, even though 'it all' had advanced by leaps and bounds since 1969!!!
Hooray for Dafne, Katie, Bertie and all their lovely relations.

BTW, I usually buy food when I'm low-sugared but for a long time I had a hideous pair of Dame Edna Everidge glasses, encrusted with fake diamonds, that just happened to be next to the sweet counter.

Reactions: Dodo and Ledzeptt

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
BTW, I usually buy food when I'm low-sugared but for a long time I had a hideous pair of Dame Edna Everidge glasses, encrusted with fake diamonds, that just happened to be next to the sweet counter.
Sounds perfect for a @Fairygodmother

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love this thread! I had my first hypo yesterday (just diagnosed) & ate the whole packet of jaffa cakes that hubby was saving. I think he got off lightly..... (prepares to blame impulse shoe purchases on being hypo)