"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm right here!
Still struggling a bit with depression, which seems to be getting slowly better, and also having been busy with helping a friend and her one year old getting settled in her new home after leaving the father of her child and living alternately with me and other friends for two months before finding a place for herself and her daughter to live.

I'm still reading though! (And doing some moderating work in the background.) Just not finding the enthousiasm to post. :sorry:

But I'm sure you'll be happy to hear my midnight snack will have set just about now so I'll go check the fridge before heading to bed. I've made the chocolate/peanutbutter/nuts thing again, but this time with a ridiculously expensive hazelnut-almond spread instead of peanutbutter because I'm really not a fan of peanut flavoured chocolate :hungry:.

Tomorrow will be Brussels sprouts with gorgonzola and tuna melt things; despite depression I've been taking pretty good care of myself! :)

@Antje77, the "like" is for the Brussels sprouts with cheese and tuna. I also like the thought of the chocolate/nut butter/nut combination. But since I can't take either sugar or sweetener without fairly dire consequences, I don't even want to think about that. I don't usually eat tuna (tinned is all I can get, although I would eat fresh tuna if it was available here) but with sprouts and cheese it sounds pretty good. I was thinking of substituting tinned salmon, but I don't think it would work.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Still trying to reduce the carbs, I just had a late breakfast of 2 rashers of streaky bacon and 2 fried eggs. Then I had a banana. I hadn't intended to have that, but I had just come in from a trip to the pharmacy to pick up my insulin prescription. It was a bit slippy underfoot making me a bit nervous about where I planted my walking stick and the roads were pretty traumatic as well so I drove very carefully. Then I found that my prescription hadn't come down from the GP so will have to wait until Monday now (I think I have just enough Humilin S to last out until Monday morning). So I was a bit fed up and cold. So I added a banana to my breakfast. Should have fried it and had it with the bacon.

Lunch is the one planned carb meal today. Rice and roasted veggies (Brussels sprouts, tomatoes, mushrooms, aubergine, courgettes and onions. Might add some frozen peas, although I don't really need any extra protein. Lunch is the main meal of the day over the last few days - trying to reduce the load on my stomach at night.

Not sure what to have later - some cheese maybe with some pickled onions?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also like the thought of the chocolate/nut butter/nut combination. But since I can't take either sugar or sweetener without fairly dire consequences, I don't even want to think about that.
You might be surprised! The ingredients are 100 gr of dark chocolate, 60 gram of nut butter, 60 gr of butter and 100 gr of nuts. So the only sugar comes from the chocolate. I've used Aldi's Moser Roth 85% (20gr carbs, of which sugar 14 gr) but you can definitely go a higher cocoa percentage without ruining the end result, I simply use these because they're cheap.

This means the only sugar comes from the chocolate, no sweeteners :)
Total weight is 320 gr, 14 gr of which are sugar, making them a whopping 4.4gr of sugar per 100 gram. And 100 gram lasts a long time.
If you use the Lindt 90% the amount of sugar will be halved, so 2.2 gr. per 100 gr.

Reactions: Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You might be surprised! The ingredients are 100 gr of dark chocolate, 60 gram of nut butter, 60 gr of butter and 100 gr of nuts. So the only sugar comes from the chocolate. I've used Aldi's Moser Roth 85% (20gr carbs, of which sugar 14 gr) but you can definitely go a higher cocoa percentage without ruining the end result, I simply use these because they're cheap.

This means the only sugar comes from the chocolate, no sweeteners :)
Total weight is 320 gr, 14 gr of which are sugar, making them a whopping 4.4gr of sugar per 100 gram. And 100 gram lasts a long time.
If you use the Lindt 90% the amount of sugar will be halved, so 2.2 gr. per 100 gr.

You're tempting me! Do you think it would work with 100% chocolate? I will probably try it with that - I don't have any other chocolate in the house. That's because I'm a fool and even though I know even a little sugar makes me feel bad, I would eat it. For a while I was able to just, once in a while, have a little 100% choc, but those days have gone and the chocolate I got in for Em was very much of a temptation. Em hasn't been in for a while - no school, so no visits on her way home - so I don't buy it at all these last few weeks.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for checking in, I was worried but nice to know everyone is upright, even if not feeling so good.
I've heard from ianpspurs too so all ok

Reactions: Antje77

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm right here!
Still struggling a bit with depression, which seems to be getting slowly better, and also having been busy with helping a friend and her one year old getting settled in her new home after leaving the father of her child and living alternately with me and other friends for two months before finding a place for herself and her daughter to live.

I'm still reading though! (And doing some moderating work in the background.) Just not finding the enthousiasm to post. :sorry:

But I'm sure you'll be happy to hear my midnight snack will have set just about now so I'll go check the fridge before heading to bed. I've made the chocolate/peanutbutter/nuts thing again, but this time with a ridiculously expensive hazelnut-almond spread instead of peanutbutter because I'm really not a fan of peanut flavoured chocolate :hungry:.

Tomorrow will be Brussels sprouts with gorgonzola and tuna melt things; despite depression I've been taking pretty good care of myself! :)
Your cheese crisps on the other thread look very appealing - do you put cheese triangles or squares in the microwave or just some grated cheese on a plate?

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You're tempting me! Do you think it would work with 100% chocolate? I will probably try it with that
I don't know, but please let me know if it did work out! I have a 100% bar (minus that little corner) laying about and no clue what to do with it...
What's the thing with sugar? Is it only refined sugars making you feel bad or also sugars in fruits and such?

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're tempting me! Do you think it would work with 100% chocolate? I will probably try it with that - I don't have any other chocolate in the house. That's because I'm a fool and even though I know even a little sugar makes me feel bad, I would eat it. For a while I was able to just, once in a while, have a little 100% choc, but those days have gone and the chocolate I got in for Em was very much of a temptation. Em hasn't been in for a while - no school, so no visits on her way home - so I don't buy it at all these last few weeks.
The 100% would work perfectly - that's what I have used making some very similar treats and what I have found is it takes the bitterness of the 100% away and they taste lovely - whereas for me the 100% chocolate on its own is too bitter. I have it with a little double cream - a bit of a gooey mess - lovely to eat!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know, but please let me know if it did work out! I have a 100% bar (minus that little corner) laying about and no clue what to do with it...
What's the thing with sugar? Is it only refined sugars making you feel bad or also sugars in fruits and such?
I was the same I had 100% buttons lying about for ages - really not in a hurry to eat them but once I made this little treat and used some of them ... well ... there is not many left now!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Annb is still around - reading posts but not joining in. That's because I've gone right off-piste in terms of low carb (probably will have to find a happy medium and try to make it moderately low carb instead of seriously low carb). Currently finding it difficult to keep carb levels under control - once I start, I don't want to stop. So I don't think I have anything to contribute right now. That's partly why I haven't posted on the main "what have you eaten" thread - also felt unwelcome there, so went off in a huff. I have, until recently, been posting on this thread, but it was a very one-sided conversation, so kind of gave up. I have been keeping my eyes open though. I have been hoping that everyone was OK but busy and had no time, or energy to bother posting. I still hope that that is the case.

Struggling hugely with BGs and weight right now - for whatever reason I am gaining weight very fast - 16 lb in the last 2 weeks. It's mostly fluid. That's leading to all the problems you might expect. Had to reduce the diuretics which were keeping the fluids under some sort of control because my kidneys were in trouble. It's getting the balance right that is the issue, I suppose.

So, don't be concerned about me - I'm still around. Just hope everyone else is at least as OK as I am (hopefully better than me).
Aww - do take care Mrs x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your cheese crisps on the other thread look very appealing - do you put cheese triangles or squares in the microwave or just some grated cheese on a plate?
I usually use my beloved 'kaasschaaf' and put slices on my baking sheet, but it being a Dutch thing I figured you guys wouldn't have one ;)
I did try how it worked with grated cheese once (mature Gouda in my case, as that's the cheese which is always there, a cheddar or such would work just as well, I'm sure) and it worked just fine. I first microwave and cool before breaking it and storing in an airtight container(*). If it doesn't crunchily break it needs a bit longer in the microwave.
I can't remember how long I microwave them, I think at least 2 or 3 minutes but I tend to keep a close eye on them as I've forgotten the right cooking time every time I make them.
You can make them in the oven as well, I tried!

upload_2021-1-24_0-29-29.jpeg

And for woever is wondering what I'm going on about, it's those cheese crisps :hungry::
69546650_10218412197330593_151737376341753856_o.jpg

(*) edit: The storing in an airtight container is of course only to protect them from dogs and cats. There is no way they would survive long enough to go stale!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

It's refined sugars - although I don't test the ones in fruit very much. Whatever amount vegetables have don't seem to be an issue. I did have a banana a couple of days ago, and that seemed to be OK, which gives me some encouragement. We used to use raw cane sugar - really thick treacly stuff (sometimes still had bits of sacking in it), but that was no better. This has been an issue with me for so many years (supposedly the top consultant on allergies in the country diagnosed me as neurotic due to it in the early 90's) and I have been loath to test it too far since T2 diagnosis but I am still experimenting and do occasionally buy berries and sneak a few before making something for Em with the rest (usually fruit compote to have with her breakfast). So far, so good. Restraint is the way to go with all this.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually use my beloved 'kaasschaaf' and put slices on my baking sheet, but it being a Dutch thing I figured you guys wouldn't have one ;)
I did try how it worked with grated cheese once (mature Gouda in my case, as that's the cheese which is always there, a cheddar or such would work just as well, I'm sure) and it worked just fine. I first microwave and cool before breaking it and storing in an airtight container(*). If it doesn't crunchily break it needs a bit longer in the microwave.
I can't remember how long I microwave them, I think at least 2 or 3 minutes but I tend to keep a close eye on them as I've forgotten the right cooking time every time I make them.
You can make them in the oven as well, I tried!

Tom bought me one of those gadgets years ago and I've often wondered what it was meant for. I have shaved bits of cheese off with it but haven't used it much. Must have a go at that.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had yoghurt with some of the latest "Em's compote" mixed into it for breakfast, but then went and spoiled it by having some wholemeal toast since I was pretty hungry.

I've just put some moussaka in the oven, made with a sauce of marscapone, gruyere and parmesan. As usual, there's far too much there. You would think, after more than 4 years eating by myself, I would have got used to making smaller amounts. But I still get it wrong and have to use leftovers for a second and third day.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had yoghurt with some of the latest "Em's compote" mixed into it for breakfast, but then went and spoiled it by having some wholemeal toast since I was pretty hungry.

I've just put some moussaka in the oven, made with a sauce of marscapone, gruyere and parmesan. As usual, there's far too much there. You would think, after more than 4 years eating by myself, I would have got used to making smaller amounts. But I still get it wrong and have to use leftovers for a second and third day.
I usually find 2nd day leftovers taste better - enjoy!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@Antje77, the "like" is for the Brussels sprouts with cheese and tuna. I also like the thought of the chocolate/nut butter/nut combination. But since I can't take either sugar or sweetener without fairly dire consequences, I don't even want to think about that. I don't usually eat tuna (tinned is all I can get, although I would eat fresh tuna if it was available here) but with sprouts and cheese it sounds pretty good. I was thinking of substituting tinned salmon, but I don't think it would work.
How about trying crispy bacon with your sprouts and cheese?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How about trying crispy bacon with your sprouts and cheese?

I've tried that and it works very well. Fish is something I ought to try to eat more of. Since I can't get any fresh, tinned or frozen are the only alternatives so ways of using tinned fish are always welcome.

Had to get up at 4am today - woke up at 3 with all my aches and pains getting to me and gave up trying to get back to sleep at 4. So I got up at that stage and took half a dose of Cocodamol and sat in the chair - finally dozing off at about 6. Unfortunately, I only have one dose of insulin left and can't get any more until the prescription arrives at the pharmacy (it's taken 7 days so far and still not arrived). So I can't have any breakfast and will have to save the insulin for lunch and will have that just before I go to town to have a follow-up blood test. It's probably all in the psychology, but, knowing I can't eat, I am already hungry.:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Phoned the pharmacy and the prescription is still not in, so I phoned the GP's reception to ask about it - they had decided not to issue the prescription because I had had one the week before, although they did send a confirmation by e-mail that it would be sent! Helpful.

I really need to get the doctor to up the prescription for Humilin S since one pack only lasts me a week. I wasn't bothering because I need to order something every week anyway, so just add in the insulin with every weekly order. Obviously it isn't going to work doing that. Now I have to go in to pick up the prescription from the desk - after my blood test (not in the same place).

Just having a moan really - I do get a bit fed up with all this prescription ordering business, even when it goes smoothly, but when some other (unqualified) person "knows better" and puts an oar in ...

Edited to add: took my 58 units of Humilin S and had my 2nd helping of Moussaka. Even better today than yesterday. There was quite a lot there, but my stomach is currently complaining that it needs more. Too bad. Just worked out properly - the 5 pack of Humilin S phials equate to 300 units. I take 58 units per meal. If I have 3 meals a day, I need a new pack every 81/2 days. Since we are required to order 7 days in advance, I need a new pack every week and, if I've missed meals, it might stretch out to 9 days. I know it's a lot, but that's the way the cookie crumbles (if I had any cookies to crumble).

Last edited: