"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish someone could solve the mystery of your BGs @Annb. It is rare that I cannot fathom what it going on with mine. I'd say the decision is both cynical and political. We have been alternating between 6 and 7 new infections per day (and very few deaths) but we're still in full lockdown. I do follow the twists and turns (probably a throwback to my job when I had to be fully aware of what was going on in government). There were a few cynical moves yesterday.
Pleased to say I think I seem to have solved the issue of increasing grandson's in school time. I had to wait for him to emerge today! The answer was a very gradual increase in time. Importantly, it has got him past the mental block he seemed to have about break time. Next big hurdle will be lunch time. He's agreeing though to the gradual daily increase. I just pray the Easter holidays don't set him back. When he does get back full time though, my concern will be over whether his learning continues to advance. He has suggested though that I continue to teach him a little each day. Meantime I'm looking forward to the Easter Break and a chance to catch up on mundane household things.

Glad to hear that your grandson is getting more comfortable at school. It must be very difficult for all of you trying to keep him calm. Luckily Em is really keen to be in school and is a bit disappointed that there is another holiday coming up. She can't wait to be old enough to get into P5.

Just wondering @maglil55, do you use GF products because you are gluten intolerant, or even allergic? If you do, do you know how quickly you react to the gluten? I am wondering because, this morning I tried RyVita for the first time in weeks and did not immediately react. So I thought that the problem I am having was just wheat intolerance and not gluten intolerance. However, this late afternoon, the bloating and sore stomach started up again. Now I'm not sure if it was the result of the RyVita or something else. I'll leave it and try RyVita again next week and see what happens.

FBG was 7.7. Breakfast was avocado crushed on RyVita. Edit: correction - it was 7.5.

Lunch was beef ragout with a small bundle of rice noodles so it shouldn't have caused this problem.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just use them because I seem to do better with them. I'm pretty sure I'm not intolerant as I can use gluten; it's just my BGs do better without it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 10.5 - less good than it has been from time to time, but not desperate.

Breakfast - vegetable broth.

2MAD, I think, today. Later, I will do something with chicken and Mediterranean vegetables - that's if I feel like cooking later on. If not, it will be the remainder of the soup.

We finally got the 2 new oil-filled towel rails for the 2 bathrooms. Neil is in the process of fitting one of them and even mentioned, maybe, finishing off the bath installation (feeling faint - never expected to see that done in my lifetime) - only mentioned, mind you. Didn't actually plan anything. He'll have to install the 2nd towel rail before he thinks any more about that. Some of the joints on our radiators are beginning to show signs of rust (the bathroom ones) and they will have to receive attention before long as well. It takes Neil a long time to get around to doing jobs, and then to finishing them, but he does do excellent work - various tradesmen have complimented him on his workmanship. That's all part of his Asperger's - it has to be perfect. Useful, but you have to be patient.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our electric shower upstairs gave up the ghost the other day. Thankfully, our plumber is a friend so we'll be able to get it replaced. Got it from the same place as last time; ordered one day, delivered the next! Hopefully, it can be replaced next week. It is known these showers have a habit of breaking after 4 or 5 years but, we have to weigh that against the cost of replacing all the tiles if we change the shower. It is the easiest way to go. We're OK anyway as we have a second shower linked to the boiler. We've also changed supplier for telephone, broadband and TV after 22 years. I'm never sure if you can mention names of firms so, suffice to say this firm's workmen were installing cable for the first time in our area and, they made us an offer we couldn't refuse. A slightly better package than we have at the moment but over £2,000 cheaper over 18 months. I'm not stupid, and I know it's to tempt new customers in but, even at the end of the contract they are still £47 cheaper per month. I did call the existing supplier to give them the chance but, best they could do is bring the cost down £800 over 18 months by reducing our service. The new supplier isn't hanging about either getting things installed. I've finally cracked long division with grandson as well. After 3 days fraying at the edges I went backwards and used single digit long division to get the method in his head. I also found a great "little boy" mnemonic to get the order to stick Dirty ÷ ; Monkeys x ; Smell - ; Bad - Bring down. You could see the light bulb moment and he now wants to go back to double digits next week. He also is still increasing his time in school.
I was up at brother's yesterday again. Still much the same as he's up and down but still eating well and no pain. I'm really not sure how much he is taking in. Yesterday was requiring intense effort for him to focus when you spoke to him and even more effort to get his hands to lift a cup or a snack. I've said before that I recognise the intense focus to get the message to the brain to do something as I had that after spinal surgery. How he does it while battling brain tumours I don't know.
Four days and I get a break over Easter. I must admit I need it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad to hear that your brother is still free from pain and managing to eat. Is he on some kind of pain relief which, of course, might well affect his ability to focus?

I actually got around to switching our electricity supplier about 18 months ago, and at the same time, our telephone service provider. I have to say that both were good switches but it took me quite a lot of dithering to do it. The only other service we could switch here is the Internet service provider. The one we use is cheaper than others and not such a good service, but it is a small firm and they have far fewer problems with hacking and scams (not worth the bother, I suppose).

Em showed me, some months ago, how her school teaches long division, and I have to say that, although I got the hang of it, it seemed very strange and unnecessarily difficult to me. She doesn't seem to think so though. "Gran, you just do this, and this and this and you get the answer...easy!" She told me yesterday that she is going to live forever because she believes in Jesus, then knelt down on the path outside to say the Lord's prayer so that she didn't get hurt from the thorns on a rose bush when she extricated her ball from its roots! Then she was about to pray again about something else, but stopped because it was probably too trivial to pray for. She seems to genuinely think that her great grandmother (105 last October) is immortal because she believes in Jesus. Not quite getting the idea, I think.

Feeling pretty grotty today - lack of sound sleep, I think is a big part of the problem. I knew it would be a bad a idea to go to bed at 10.30 last night. I was awake by 1.30 am and again at 3.30, when I got up and dozed in the kitchen chair. I now think I have what is being called covid toe - the nail has been looking strange for a while, but now the toe is inflamed and a bit sore. Used iodine tincture on it and we'll see how it goes.

FBG was 8.0 at 8 am and about 9.30 I had some RyVita with cold ham. No ill effects yet, so the gluten might still be OK. Again, we'll see later on. I ended up only having the veg broth yesterday because Em came in from school and was still here when I would have been cooking my second meal. I had used half a romaine lettuce in the broth and Em found the other half and scoffed it - just like eating sweets. My BG dropped by bedtime to 4.6! But I was very hungry. Not sure what to have for my 2nd meal today. I have some sausages and some Mediterranean type vegetables. Medi type casserole, but with sausages? Sounds reasonable. Might just make it early, before I start feeling as though it is too much trouble and then finish it in the oven later.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oddly, @Annb, he doesn't need any pain relief. He is on various other meds through. A steroid cocktail to keep the swelling on the brain under control and another to prevent seizures. The rest are just the usual BP, statin and one for angina. He's not on sleeping pills or anything that would make him less engaged so I suspect it has to be the tumours.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 10.5. That was at 8.30 (before realising the clocks had changed, so actually 9.30 today's time). Didn't get to bed until 1.30 am (yesterday's time) because I forgot I had stripped my bed and done the washing without remaking the bed. So had to struggle with that when I did go to bed around 12.30. And it is a struggle, believe me. I have never known anyone so inept at getting a duvet cover onto a duvet as I am! And bending to get the bottom sheet on is a nightmare in itself, requiring several rests before it is done.

Anyway - brunch was about 1 pm and was the remaining sausage and veg not-quite-casserole (more a roast because I didn't put much stock in with it) with 4 eggs poured over it and baked. Had about a quarter of it and have enough left for at least 2 more meals. I'll be getting very fed up with it by tomorrow morning but I don't think it will freeze very well, so will just have to use it up. At least I don't have to wonder what to make.

Neil is actually planning to finish off the bath installation! I told him that I wanted to get a new wash basin anyway (the old one is an very good quality Armitage Shanks, tan coloured one - the last remaining part of the suite we put in when we built the house in 1974 - the shower room suite was avocado, but has since been replaced by a white suite including a disabled shower - all very dated now but all the rage in 1974). So he's planning how that will fit in to the room alongside the bath/shower and the bidet - that's been waiting to be fitted since we took out the old (tan) one about 8 years ago. We've been looking online for wash basins that would suit. So there is hope for progress. Having said that - just buying the new wash basin won't be a guarantee - the stainless steel sink I bought several years ago is still leaning against the wall in the utility room, waiting to be installed. As I have said before - where Asperger's is, patience is required.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This method for putting a duvet cover on actually works. It's easier with two people but I can do it on my own (I just turn the quilt sideways to roll it as it saves going from one side of the bed to the other). I can do it quite quickly now although I found it weird at first!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

This method for putting a duvet cover on actually works. It's easier with two people but I can do it on my own (I just turn the quilt sideways to roll it as it saves going from one side of the bed to the other). I can do it quite quickly now although I found it weird at first!
Why did I change the bed two days ago? I want to try this before I forget where I saw it or how it works!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Fantastic! I almost want to take the cover off the duvet again to give it a go. Almost.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic! I almost want to take the cover off the duvet again to give it a go. Almost.
It might take a couple of shots but once you've mastered it you'll never do it another way again. The first bit is simple - Duvet cover turned inside out with opening at bottom (or away from you if you are rolling it from the side of the bed). Duvet on top then Roll from the top to the opening.
Next is the slightly awkward bit where you grab the corners with the duvet then turn it so you are holding the corners in place. It does help (if you can be bothered) to stitch tie tags to the inside bottom corners of the cover and the duvet to hold it in place). Once you've started this turn to the right side it just unrolls. Holding the corners in place and starting the turn to the right side is the only tricky bit.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I always get my duvet covers ironed inside out anyway - that's to make it easier to put the cover on in the old way. So it should be straightforward enough, even for me.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We have a new towel rail/radiator working! It's in a much better position than the previous towel rail which was on the other side of the room from the wash basin (only about 4 feet away, but allowing plenty of drips before getting to get a towel). The new one is right beside the wash basin. Much better.

FBG was 10.8. Very groggy this morning and very sore.

Breakfast was some of the remaining fritatta thingy from yesterday. Still the same amount left for another meal. Trouble is, I'm still hungry and am trying to fill up with tea. Also pretty chilled as well. Need to get another, warmer layer on.

I had some more RyVita to try it out, a couple of days ago and there were no ill effects, so I guess (and it is a guess) that gluten is not the issue with me. It must just be wheat. I'll try that again in a while and see what happens. Probably just as well that gluten doesn't seem to be the issue since many of the products used in gluten free products do cause me problems (tapioca, arrowroot, other "exotic" roots, as well as some nuts and seeds) and many of the sugar replacements also cause problems for me whereas sugar only exacerbates the diabetes, as do other carbs, of course.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just changed my bed at the weekend but I will give this a try next time - looks easy peasey ...

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 8.9 - not bad (for me).

Breakfast: avocado and orange salad on rice cakes. BG dropped to 5.6. Decided to eat a very thin oatcake before driving to town.

Had an appointment to see a GP this morning. When I spoke to one of the doctors on the phone yesterday, he asked if I would mind going in to the surgery so I could get checked over (BP etc). Odd question - most people are finding it very difficult to get to see a doctor at the moment. Anyway, he went through the report from the hospital and the various checks I've had recently and confirmed that my heart, lungs, liver and kidneys are doing fine. BP is a bit high, but then, I couldn't take my morning diuretics before leaving the house. Good to know but, as he acknowledged, that isn't sorting out what is wrong. He's trying me on a nitrate to increase blood flow and on aspirin. (Do you mind taking those? - why would I?). He also told me that the Furosimide I've been taking for years is for treating heart failure, which I've never had; I thought it was a simple diuretic. He also checked my legs (which is where the recent consultations started but nobody had actually looked at them) and tlls me that they are infected and I need an antibiotic. So lots of new pills. I'll have to think about how to fit them in with all the rest. I'll also have to move elegantly and smoothly or I'll be rattling. Then, when I left, the doctor thanked me for going in. Very odd!

I have some pork steaks, so I'll have one, or maybe 2, with a walnut crumb and some salady stuffs this evening.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't have the pork. Been feeling really bad all day - it started while I was driving to town and I felt a bit uncomfortable keeping going - a bit unsafe. But no choice. When I got home, I felt even worse, so I've spent the afternoon and early evening sleeping in the chair. Just beginning to feel a bit better now, but it's too late to cook so I'll go without - maybe more fluids.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 8.0.
Having to do a bit of organising to take pills at the right time - the antibiotic has to be taken 2 hours after food (and drink?) and an hour before the following meal.

First one was at 8.50 (bad night, finished off in the chair, so woke at 5 am and had some tea, and didn't take it until 2 hours later).

Breakfast at 9.50 - 2 fried eggs on GF toast. Most of the rest of the day time pills after breakfast. Then tea at 10.50. So next antibiotic will be now. Then lunch will be at 2 pm. That will be a pork chop/salad that I didn't have yesterday.

Then another pill at about 3.30 and another pill at about 5 pm (edit - no, it's not - can't figure it out just now, must put some thought into it). I'll have to fit another one in before bedtime, but I look as though I can't keep up the fluid levels at this rate. Maybe just water would be OK.

With my current foggy brain - only just noticing how bad that has become, trying to remember things and work out things - I'm not sure I'm getting it right, but am doing my best. Just noticed, I got my timings wrong - that's what I mean about fuzzy brain.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 13.8.

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs and 2 rashers of streaky bacon with 2 small slices GF bread.
BG before breakfast 14.4 - 2 hours later 11.8. That's on my increased dose of short acting insulin.

2nd meal: stir fried pork and mushrooms with a small amount of lemony rice. Yum.
BG currently 13.4. I could have eaten more of the pork and rice but I thought I'd better not be greedy and left about 1/3 in the wok. I'll add some bits to it tomorrow and make some kind of chow mein.

Neil's been helping me sort out the larder this afternoon. I thought I'd done it not so long ago but he found lots of stuff that was out of date and so we dumped all that. Trouble is, there are so many different packets of grains and flours that I can't see what I want and go and buy more. There was even some custard powder that was out of date in 2016. I don't use it, but I used to make a kind of "baby pudding" with it for my husband when he was unable to eat anything else. He always loved his Birds custard - ever since he was a child.

Just heard that my elderly sister-in-law had a fall and "broke her shoulder" - not sure what part of her shoulder. She is unsteady on her feet and has dementia. Her 60 year old son, who looks after her, heard the crash as she fell and called 111 because she didn't look too badly injured so he wanted someone to come out to see her. But no-one did. So he eventually called an ambulance and she is now in hospital. I don't suppose they'll keep her in there for long but I don't know which part of the shoulder needs to be repaired - if they can do a repair. I don't know if they will be happy for her to go home to be cared for by her son but she has no other carers - refuses to let them in.

I was going to start my antibiotics but I now have an appointment for my second jab tomorrow, so I'll leave it until Saturday to start it. Once again - they had forgotten me, but Neil received a letter giving him an appointment so he phoned and asked if I could just go along at the same time. That's when they realised that they had forgotten me - again!

I just realised on Tuesday, when I was driving to the surgery, that I actually prefer to be in the house. I'm not (unlike my other sister-in-law) afraid to go out, I just don't want to be bothered and would much prefer to shuffle around the house and almost live in my kitchen. I'm sure that's not right, but it's just a fact of this very odd life we live these days.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just back from getting my jab. I wasn't on their list, but they gave it to me anyway - after a lot of online form filling. I have always thought I was eminently forgettable, but this is getting ridiculous.

Avocado and coleslaw for breakfast, with the last small slice of the GF loaf I bought the other day.

Just getting a cup of tea after my exertions this morning.

2nd meal will be the remaining pork and mushrooms with some rice - only about a tablespoon of the rice left, and I'll add some peas and maybe some egg to make it egg fried rice, rather than chow mein.

Now that the larder is a bit more organised, I'll have to make a start on the freezer. Neil wants me to get him some of his soya margerine from Amazon (the local shops have stopped selling it again) but I'll have to get at least 6 tubs and he doesn't use very much of it and will need to put some in the freezer, but there's no space for 4 or 5 tubs of margerine. We need yet another freezer, but there's no space to put that either. Maybe I could get a small one and put it in his workshop - just for the things he needs to get in bulk. No local source of tinned edamame beans either, so had to order those from Amazon - very expensive way of buying them and no guarantee that they are the right ones for Neil, so I just bought 2 tins - costing a small fortune. They'd better be right. With all the stuff we're throwing out, No 2 son has some seriously spoiled hens.

Edit: 6 tins, not 2! Still expensive if they end up as hen food.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb have you got your pills organised now and are you feeling better? Big steps forward with grandson this week - he asked to go out an play at break which is huge for a child who was afraid to leave his house. On the other side, my brother is now showing a marked deterioration. About the only thing I'm thankful for is still no pain. Regretfully, I recognise all the signs. I'm just keeping on going and being as normal as possible.