What is a normal result for finger prick test?

minniemoo

Hi can anyone help please. I just had a finger prick blood test at the hosp last fri and the nurse said it was "10".
Can someone tell me what this means on the scale of diabetic results? Thanks

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello welcome,Hope this helps

Random blood glucose level
A sample of blood taken at any time can be a useful test if diabetes is suspected. A level of 11.1 mmol/L or more in the blood sample indicates that you have diabetes. A fasting blood glucose test may be done to confirm the diagnosis.

A glucose level below 11.1 mmol/L on a random blood sample does not rule out diabetes. A blood test taken in the morning before you eat anything is a more accurate test. Do not eat or drink anything except water for 8-10 hours before a fasting blood glucose test. A level of 7.0 mmol/L or more indicates that you have diabetes.

If you have no symptoms of diabetes but the blood test shows a glucose level of 7.0 mmol/L or more then the blood test must be repeated to confirm you have diabetes. If you do have symptoms and the blood test shows a glucose level of 7.0 mmol/L or more then the test does not need to be repeated
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Reactions: 2 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if the OP wondered to know if 10 was low, normal, or high etc.?

BG numbers from a finger prick test show how much glucose there is in the bloodstream at that particular moment. Depending on how long it was since you last ate and what you did eat, your activity levels etc. this number will vary throughout the 24 hours. The number is only a guide really as it can vary perpetually and if you did a test from each of your 10 fingers, you'd possibly get 10 different numbers, although they should be fairly close.

To give you an idea of the range of numbers, a non-diabetic person might expect their numbers to range from a fasting number of around 4.0 to under 7.8 at the peak level after a meal. Diabetics, even with good control, might find their numbers a smidge higher than these and those of us on insulin would probably hope to keep a little over 4. My control isn't ideal at the moment as I'm changing treatment regimes completely, but mine are in the daily range of about 7 to 11 - I want it lower than that - it's heading in the right direction.

So, your 10 is a bit higher than ideal, even if you'd eaten recently. How does it relate to the reason for your hospital visit? Do they think you're diabetic?

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi can anyone help please. I just had a finger prick blood test at the hosp last fri and the nurse said it was "10".
Can someone tell me what this means on the scale of diabetic results? Thanks
Welcome... one test is a little inconclusive. I have tagged @daisy1 who will be along with some interesting information about diabetes.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@minniemoo

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful and interesting. Ask more questions if you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

minniemoo

Hi thanks everyone for your help. I didn't put much info in my earlier post as I am new to this forum thing. So here it is. I was diagnosed with type 2 a couple of years ago (think my reading was about 90) but I am only know trying to learn more about it. At the time I was diagnosed I didn't get much information, my GP just told me to lose weight which I did on a low fat diet (lost 2 stone) and 6 months later he told me my results were normal (about 45). However after some bad family related news I gave up looking after myself and consequently put the weight back on. I haven't been back to the docs for a while so he doesn't know this. The finger prick test I had done at the hosp was part of pre-op testing for a completely unrelated op on my nose.
I am now trying to get back on the weight loss track and after finding this site recently have discovered that low carb / high protein seems to be recommended so that is the way I am going to go. Wish me luck !!

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@minniemoo - thanks for the explanation, that makes more sense. 10 is on the high side, but perhaps if you were in hospital for a procedure, your stress levels might have driven it up temporarily. You'd need to test at different times, to get a picture of how your body reacts to foods, exercise etc.

By the way, it's low carb, high fat - not protein. Protein intake needs to be moderate as it works a bit like a slow release carb for diabetics - you'd probably do low carb/high protein if you were a body builder or trying to gain muscle, alongside exercise. I think the optimal diabetic calorie balance in the LCHF regime is something like 10% carbs, 20% protein, 70% fat. I think I probably manage something more like 15% carbs, 25% protein and 60% fat.

david ruben

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello welcome,Hope this helps

Random blood glucose level
A sample of blood taken at any time can be a useful test if diabetes is suspected. A level of 11.1 mmol/L or more in the blood sample indicates that you have diabetes. A fasting blood glucose test may be done to confirm the diagnosis.

A glucose level below 11.1 mmol/L on a random blood sample does not rule out diabetes. A blood test taken in the morning before you eat anything is a more accurate test. Do not eat or drink anything except water for 8-10 hours before a fasting blood glucose test. A level of 7.0 mmol/L or more indicates that you have diabetes.

If you have no symptoms of diabetes but the blood test shows a glucose level of 7.0 mmol/L or more then the blood test must be repeated to confirm you have diabetes. If you do have symptoms and the blood test shows a glucose level of 7.0 mmol/L or more then the test does not need to be repeated
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Care is needed that capillary blood (finger prick) glucose levels are not identical to venous blood tests taken by a phlebotomist; they are similar, but not identical. Hence fasted >7.0, or 2hours after glucose load >11.1mmol/l, are the thresholds for venous blood tests for making a new diagnosis of diabetes, but capillary blood levels may not match this values. See http://emj.bmj.com/content/22/3/177.full "caution must be exercised in accepting the results as equivalent or using either as substitutes for a laboratory blood glucose result."

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @david ruben
Just to let you know, this is an old thread, last posted on 15 months ago, so you may not get a response from the original posters...
:)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh David - The thread creator last posted about a year ago, so I wouldn't wait for a response with baited breath.

I see from your profile, you are a doctor. Are you practising currently? What's your field and interests?