1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What is an ok resting heart beat?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by Northernerinnorfolk, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Northernerinnorfolk

Northernerinnorfolk Type 2 · Newbie

Hello

Two months ago I got a Fitbit and my resting heart beat has gone from 58 to 48. I run 3 x 5k and 1 x Zumba class per week. My blood glucose levels are between 5 and 6 in the morning and on Metformin. Should I be worried? Or is that just my fitness levels going up?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

well if your heartbeat is that low because you are extremely fit it can be okay, have a talk with your GP on the subject.

if your heartbeat is that low and you are unfit it could be a sign of some heart damage .. But I guess it is the first of the two suggestions in your case

a third option is that you might have a very slow metabolism and need levothyroxine added

and by the way we are not able to diagnose anything in here , in such a serious subject you always need to have a talk with you GP

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi, @Northernerinnorfolk , your profile doesn’t show what type of diabetes you have, but you should be having diabetes reviews which include measuring blood pressure and heart rate, so perhaps mention it there.
    Your exercise regime suggests your heart rate could be due to being physically fit. Though that would just be speculation. My very fit runner, cyclist swimming partner also has resting heart rate under 50 beats per minute, and this gives GP no cause for alarm, but partner does not have diabetes, or any other health conditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

I have type 1 diabetes and a resting heart rate under 50.
    This is of no concern to me or my doctor.

Although, the last time my diabetes team took my resting heart rate was as soon as I ran (literally .... 3 miles) to the appointment. So the resting part is not so true!
    But, when I don't run and they get a reading under 50, there is no concern.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Veryanxious

Veryanxious Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

My sleep resting heart beat record is also 48-58, my resting is generally 72-82 in Samsung galaxy. Is it a cause of concern?

6. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Totally normal. Some people have a naturally lower resting heart rate or if very trained in endurance sports they will reduce this resting heart rate. Yours is in the totally normal for Norfolk range. 100 would be worrying and very low heart rate might be worrying if you had recently been in an accident and were bleeding internally.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook