What is success?

happycat

This is going to sound stupid, but here goes. I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes a year ago tomorrow. My BG was over 18. I have been trying to control it with diet and exercise. My readings before meals are now in the fives or low sixes and usually under eight after meals. I do have the odd higher reading now and again. But I am still not sure what I am aiming for. Is my target under 4 before meals and under 8 after or what? Someone said that it should vary as little as possible and be say 6 all the time. Is this ture? My last HbA1c was in December 2012 and was 48 which I think is about 6.5? The DN says I do not need to test but I do although I have to pay for my strips etc. She won't discuss it with me as she feels that I should take statins (cholesterol is 4) and Metformin. I asked her about targets and she said "as normal as possible" but you won't get there without medication and you refuse to do that so it is up to you" I would really appreciate some help as I really don't know what to aim for and when I can consider that I have succeeded. She also said that diet and exercise is a short term solution and will not last and that it is better to go onto medication straight away and not "mess about" as she put it. Is this true?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel that I must disagree with your nurse and her attitude. Going onto meds straight away and not messing about is not my preferred route. I find that diet has a far greater effect than the meds and in my case the meds came with a lot of nasty side effects which I would rather not suffer.

As for day to day targets. I prefer it if I have a low reading before eating and although it is cheering if I have a low reading after eating it probably also means that the meal was not enjoyable. If I am under the NICE guideline of 8.5 two hours after eating then that is acceptable. If the reading is lower then I count that as a bonus if the meal was good. If it's a long way under I make a note of what the meal consisted of. There is more headroom if the before reading is low but in my case anything below 4 is too low since I get the shakes.

Your Hba1c is not bad although just a tad lower would be good. Your cholesterol is remarkably good according to my target sheet but I think the jury is still out on the whole cholesterol question.

I disagree most with your nurse on the need to test question. The whole NHS has its head in the sand (I cleaned that up) when it comes to testing and carbs etc. I would like to think they had a clever and well thought out agenda when they do this but I fear they are just years out of date. The remarkable thing is that it is the entire NHS which pushes this info. I really don't understand how attitudes which are so wrong (in my opinion) can be maintained so uniformly by such a large organisation.

happycat

Thank you for your response. It is really kind of you.I totally agree with you and not the DN, so I'll just keep going. :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you are doing great and if you think about it logically (I know DB and diabetes dont go together usually) if you are getting good numbers without meds what is the point of taking them ?
CAROL

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At my first appointment with the practice nurse, I was given a target to keep my HbA1c below 48, so you are just about there.

Your Cholesterol is spot on the upper limit for someone with other risk factors (i.e. diabetes).

I was also given a target of 5.8 mmol/l BG 2 hours after eating with no way of measuring it. At the X-PERT course, the DN teaching the course said that that target was incorrect, but did not give me an alternative.

You don't say anything about your weight. Excess weight can have a significant effect on insulin resistance so if you are overweight or obese, set yourself a target to lose 10% and work towards that. Set intermediate targets (5%, a BMI threshold, a clothing size...) and you'll be hitting your targets regularly.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
EllisB said:
I was also given a target of 5.8 mmol/l BG 2 hours after eating with no way of measuring it. At the X-PERT course, the DN teaching the course said that that target was incorrect, but did not give me an alternative.

Isn't it interesting that the incorrect target of 5.8 is the correct target of 8.5 backwards. I smell a typo.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happycat, :) without doubt you are the success.
images

When you have blood test etc; ask for copy results ( they may make a small charge yet Doctors do not normally charge ). You can compare your results with previous ones, this information helps with your self control etc;

The bg meter I use is slightly false, as they are many different makes of meters that vary in settings. The Doctors results are accurate to which copies are good for reference etc;
Also your DN needs retrained.

Keep up you work with self control. it is working.
Roy. :)