What is Type 3?

Stuartwylie_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums so please excuse the simple question which has probably been answered many times...

What is Type 3c Pancreatic Diabetes?

I've had diabetes for 18 years ever since I was in hospital for 2 months with acute pancreatitis.

Does this mean that I am not type 1 as previously thought but type T3c?

Thanks in advance :)

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Welcome too the forum Stuartwylie glad you joined

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums so please excuse the simple question which has probably been answered many times...

What is Type 3c Pancreatic Diabetes?

I've had diabetes for 18 years ever since I was in hospital for 2 months with acute pancreatitis.

Does this mean that I am not type 1 as previously thought but type T3c?

Thanks in advance :)
Hello,

Type 3c is a subtype of diabetes that apparently comes about when the pancreas is damaged from something like pancreatitis. It's technically not type 1 as the diabetic will not have the autoimmune condition associated with traditional T1D, although the two conditions are treated very similarly, if not identically.

To find out whether you have run of the mill T1, or something like 3c, would require a GAD antibodies test. This could ascertain whether your immune system is attacking the beta cells of your pancreas, suggesting that you are indeed a T1. It's worth noting that this test is rather pricey and not always conclusive. Interestingly, there are a fairly large proportion of T1's who don't test positive for the GAD autoantibodies, even though they have T1.

The important thing is that you're managing your condition correctly, whether it is in fact is T1 or 3c. A lot of doctors won't recognise or entertain any other forms of diabetes rather than T1 or T2, but it can never do any harm to raise the topic with your GP/diabetologist:)

A warm welcome to the forum by the way, I'm sure you'll find it a very welcoming, informative and enjoyable place!