What is your Blood meter read today

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got up this morning took my bloods on the meter with nothing to eat 7.1 last night with something to eat and a metformin it stayed on 5.2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you heard of the Dawn Phenomenon or liver dump? There are dozens of threads about it on the forums if you use the search box.

Briefly, our livers produce and then release glucose in to our blood stream when they think our glucose is a bit low. That doesn't mean to say we are a bit low - just lower than our bodies have been used to. This is because we need extra energy when we wake up so we can start the day. It also happens at other times of the day, plus during exercise etc. It is quite natural.

You can stop it in its tracks sometimes by having something fatty (no carbs) as soon as possible after getting up. Otherwise it is likely to stay higher than you want throughout the morning.

Reactions: KezG and Arsenal79

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My liver and I have this argument every morning !
Readings are slowly coming down though. It used to be mid 7,s but is usually low 6's now.
I've read that this is one of the last readings to normalise if that is possible in our individual responses to diabetes.

Reactions: KezG