1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What lancing device is the best when testing regularly?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Alisonjane10, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Alisonjane10

Alisonjane10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

I'm not impressed with the lancing device that came as part of my prescribed testing kit. I also have a Codefree meter which I keep in the car, & the lancing device in that particular kit is even worse. Like many others who tests regularly, I'm prone to sore, bruised fingertips, even when following a safe common-sense procedure for collecting capillary blood. I alternate fingers, don't test on the pads, use the lowest lancet setting, change the lance every time...in fact I've implemented all of the advice received from forum members regarding testing practice. Annoyingly, I'm losing sensation in some fingertips, & I'm tired of having sore bruised fingers. So, can anyone recommend an uncomplicated lancing device which is gentle & has several depth settings. I'm sure there must be a device out there that is gentle & not ridiculously expensive. All advice gratefully received.

Alison. X

2. Clivethedrive

Clivethedrive Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi alisonjane10, i've tried several....best for me is accu-chek nano lancing device which i use 4 times a day, also , the point that u test ,use the side if finger tip ( less nerves there)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pilgrim22

Pilgrim22 LADA · Well-Known Member

The Accu chek fast click is the best I have used.

• Like Like x 2
  4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The Accu-Chek Multiclix/Fastclix lancing devices are the best on the market IMHO.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

For truly painless testing, Dr Bernstein recommends the Genteel lancing device:

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I use the Accu Chek Fastclix, which I find very good apart from the fact I can't aim where I want it to prick very accurately. This may be user error!

7. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

I'm certainly not suggesting this is the case for you Alison, but I found the biggest difference I made was changing my technique. Now, I hold the lancing device to my finger, so that I can hardly feel it, then fire it off. I then, almost always, apply a little pressure between the middle and tip-most knuckle to see a spot of blood appear. I don't squeeze hard, as that's unhelpful in terms of the sample quality. Of course, sometimes the lightness of the touch of lancing device to finger can be so light it doesn't effect a puncture, but it's so much better for me.

Doing that has made my fingers much more comfortable.

8. Barry Holt

Barry Holt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

accu check fast clix always good for me,and I do only use it the once,just trying not to make a mess of fingers haha

• Like Like x 2
  9. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not the only one with that problem - never was very good at darts!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Eldorado

Eldorado Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'd recommend the Accuchek FastClix. It really is pain free and is the best one I've ever used.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Alisonjane10

Thank you to all of you who have replied to my post. It would appear the Accu-cheek fastclix has the vote. I will look at the technique I'm currently using, just to ensure my practice is good. I appreciate your time & advice folks.

Alison. X

• Like Like x 2
  12. Alisonjane10

Ooh er! That's unusual & sounds like it could be painful for me. Each of us has a technique of our own I guess. Thanks for responding to my post.

Alison X

13. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Ouch!!!!! I have enough problems getting blood from the side or pad of my fingers, and having looked between my hair cuticle and first knuckle joint, i think that I'd have real issues with your way!

14. Alisonjane10

Hi @nomistheman,

Guess what, I tested on the site you described, & I was surprised to find that yes...it wasn't painful. So, I'll be testing from that area again. Thanks for the tip.

Alison. X

• Like Like x 2
  15. TyTy

TyTy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

16. bwoo1978

bwoo1978 Parent · Member

My daughter uses the Genteel lancing device. We heard about it though Dr. Bernsteins podcast. She's 5, and is a recently diagnosed type 2. We got it shipped over from the US about 2 months back. She's loved it.

At first, she was slightly put off by its larger size than her FastClix just on appearance, but I showed testing on myself first, and then she gave it a try... She had a shocked look on her face when she saw blood but didn't feel the prick. Compared to her FastClix which was pretty good, but it's like comparing a luxury item vs a freebie. So clearly there would be differences...

We haven't gone back yet. The consistency of the blood drop is what I like (apart from the less pain aspect).

• Like Like x 4
    #16 bwoo1978, Jun 30, 2015 at 12:25 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook