1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

what part of body do u inject and needle size

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by totsy, Jul 24, 2011.

1. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

just out of curiosity i wondered where everyone injects and what size needle,
    i was injecting in my tummy and have just changed sites to my legs and 5mm needles :D

2. mehdave

mehdave · Well-Known Member

tummy. top and bottom of naval I alternate the victoza. Use 4mm and 5mm depending on what I pull from the box i mixed them in lol.

3. josie38

josie38 · Well-Known Member

i used to use 6mm for lantus and 8mm for humalog......i used to alternate between tummy and legs

4. AndyS

AndyS Type 1 · Well-Known Member

using 5mm needles.

Inject in stomache, thighs, backs of arms and bum.
    Often I tend to use my bum and thoughs for Levemir since I found that if I use my stomache it doesnt last the full 12 hours for me.

For rapid I tend to choose the site based on how much I am injecting and what I have eaten. I find that if I have something with a fairly low GI then going for my tummy seems to give too fast a release and I have a dip then it climbs so I use arms or thigh.

If dose is less than 12 then it can be arms but higher doses I go for stomache as my arms bleed / bruise with anything over 15u.

But that is just what works for me :)

/A

5. ClaireG 06

ClaireG 06 · Well-Known Member

I'm using a mixed insulin (humulin m3) and inject into my tummy and thighs. I use 5mm needles.

6. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hi, Tummy ' only ' as am too skinny on my thighs and bum, plus wouldnt be able to see if did the bum!
    Alternate sides with the victoza and levemir. Use 4mm or 5mm needles.
    Reading AndyS post above is interesting about the levemir not lasting the full 12hrs in stomach site, will mention this to my [DSN] this friday when I go for the levemir dosage training. Anna.

7. AndyS

AndyS Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Anna,

I should menation a caveat to my statement. This is what I have observed in myself and in all liklihood will be different for others.

Injecting in the bum does take a bit of practice and you generaly end up doing a blind shot without pinching the skin.

/A

8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Lantus goes into my legs or buttocks, novorapid I inject into the arms and occasionally the stomach, I try and avoid the stomach due to previous problems of lipohypertrophy when I used glass syringes and re-usable needles in the early 80's.

Needle size I use 5mm.

Nigel

9. Spearmint

Spearmint · Well-Known Member

My daughter uses 8mm needles
    Side of thighs for Levemir
    Tummy for Novorapid

10. Pneu

Pneu · Well-Known Member

5mm needles for me...

Stomach for Novo/Apidra and Thighs for Insulatard... occasionally stomach if I have missed an injection time by more than an hour..

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook