What Pets Do You Have?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
20% water change and fish are still alive. I'm clearly a pro already ;)

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely animals between you guys. Great selection too. We used to have two Rough Collies, male and female. We've had a Jack Russell and a Doberman, although we didn't have him long as he was so big and strong, I was scared he'd knock our baby son flying.

We've had two cats, two cockatiels and in the eighties, we had a tank of tropical fish. Loved them but they started dying off so we didn't have any after that. Very relaxing to watch.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2 Saluki,s .. I cat, 3 hens, 3 cockerels, unknown number of koi, 1 sterlet and 1pigeon .. Think that's all .. Will a friendly garden toad and a zillion frogs also count .. If they do then add newts to this list. Field mice live in the wall of the cottage, so they may count as well ! Along with a snuffles the hedgehog .. Visiting red squirrels and the deer that eat all the leaves off the fruit trees.

:cyclops:

Last edited by a moderator:

MotherOfDanbo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We have a gorgeous Staffy called Chaos, and a horrible cat called Ceefur!

And LoL @ Nicholas Hoare's "half a cat".

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
A totally manic border collie that is in theory is my daughter's but in practice regards me as her alpha although she will defend anyone in HER family. She can sense a hypo and alerts with a soft cross between a howl and a woof.

Reactions: 3 people

Lizzy5172

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My cat Jess died last year so no pets at the mo but really thinking of getting a kitten soon. A friend has 2 week old ones at the moment which are adorable.... I think I need one!!

Reactions: 2 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
A Border Terrier named Rosie, who loves people but hates cats! There are several cats in our neighbourhood who I'm sure, taunt Rosie purposely by parading across the garden, pausing in front of the window while she leaps around trying to get at them through the glass. One day.....just one day....:facepalm:;)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a pet, but a PHEASANT visits the garden every day and has started tapping/pecking loudly at the French windows! My cat, Tabby, (cool name), is elderly and stares balefully at him. He stares back. They are not a threat to each other because they are both very sedentary and walk slowly, whatever. They have their moments, though. Pheasant makes a right racket if you surprise him, Tabby is getting very good at Game of Cats on the iPad which, at her age, is impressive.:cat::rolleyes: And shows you're never too old to make use of technology.

Reactions: 3 people

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
We've a tiny 13 year old Yorkshire Terrier and a moggy black cat produced from my son's cat.
She (the cat) is larger than the dog, both females btw.
The cat desperately tries to rough and tumble with our dog, but despite her (the dog's) age she
can fairly move, but she obviously feels she's too old to to play rough and tumble games, simply
refuses to play, or perhaps she thinks playing rough and tumble is beneath her status in life. :playful:

Nice pleasant thread Aldebarn.

willie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My cat is a comic, she follows me around like the nursery rhyme "Mary had a little lamb" I don't get to lounge around, if she wants me to feed her or let her out, if I want her to come in the house I shout "Chicken" and its like greased lightning, never seen a cat run so fast, if she's sooking in I get the tentative paw on the knee, hello , can I have a treat, never thought cats could learn tricks, but if it get results why not

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
A Border Terrier named Rosie, who loves people but hates cats! There are several cats in our neighbourhood who I'm sure, taunt Rosie purposely by parading across the garden, pausing in front of the window while she leaps around trying to get at them through the glass. One day.....just one day....:facepalm:;)
My father-in-law had a cat that used to parade a half rabbit just out of range of the farm collie's chain, just to torment him!:mad::mad: Cats are like that:):)

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My parents have two tibetan terriers that I share custody of lol. Hubby-to-be and I are considering adopting a pet of our own. Would love a dog, but we both work long hours at the moment, so we will probably adopt a cat for now.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have two dogs Lola a French bulldog and Freddie a Heinz 57 who we adopted from a Spanish dogs home. He is the sweetest dog how he ended up in a dogs home we can't imagine . He is the dog in my profile picture . They both fill our lives with so much pleasure we would not be without them.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
One cat now, the other one got run over a little while ago :sob:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Currently five cats, two girls who are Bengal/tabby crosses, and three boys. One of the boys we adopted after some nasty neighbours did a midnight flit and abandoned him, and another has moved in with us from another nice neighbour - they are fine with it, because they know where he is and still see him - he's just got an attitude. Between us we have eight, and I'm sure the cats treat it as one big home. They all get on and visit each other's houses.

Previously we've also had two rats (great pets) and a house rabbit who thought he was a cat and occasionally tried to mate with them (boy, girl, he wasn't fussy).

There are another four much-loved cats buried in the garden.

You can't really have a thread like this without pictures, so:

This is Freya, one of the two Bengal/tabby crosses. They're nearly 3. She's a bit blonde and like her sister Loki has a very bushy tail. They like fuss but only on their terms, will only sit on you rarely and woe betide if you try and pick one of them up!

P1010663.JPG

And this is Loki

P1010669.JPG

Kato is 2, and was rescued by my daughter from an unwanted farm litter. He's very affectionate and soppy. We wonder about him sometimes.

P1000536.JPG

Grey baby is the cat abandoned by neighbours when they did a midnight flit. He was semi-wild for a couple of years before he moved in with us, and as you see he feels quite at home. Vet said he was about 5 or 6 based on his teeth. We've never given him another name since he moved in.

P1010618.JPG

The black cat is Woody, the one who walked out on our good neighbours. I think he preferred our food and was maybe put out when they acquired a whippet. He's about 14. Plenty of attitude, he usually gets what he wants. The ginger cat is Barney, one of the neighbours' cats, again an exile from another house about 200 yards away (he was put in a kennel in the garden when they had a baby, and wasn't going to put up with that). He comes in for a snack and a nap now and then.

P1020160.JPG

Reactions: 4 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Guess what we have? :)

About 18 years old now, and her brother is a Ginger ex-tom.

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My cat is a comic, she follows me around like the nursery rhyme "Mary had a little lamb" I don't get to lounge around, if she wants me to feed her or let her out, if I want her to come in the house I shout "Chicken" and its like greased lightning, never seen a cat run so fast, if she's sooking in I get the tentative paw on the knee, hello , can I have a treat, never thought cats could learn tricks, but if it get results why not

Ours also comes home to the "chicken" call!

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1397282710.054359.jpg

Bailey is 3 and a 1/2 :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mothership

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
dog mess anywhere
We have a Westie called Dirk who is a real character and we love to bits.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a gorgeous and funny boxer called Lola, aged 6. We have always had boxers. My first was when I was aged 9 in the 1950's. Our last two lived to be almost 15, fantastic for boxers.

We also have 3 Mediterranean tortoises, Tilly, Tommy and Tiny. They are all over 60 years old as far as we know. Tommy I bought from a pet shop in 1976. Tilly was given to us by a neighbour who was emigrating about 1980. Tiny is a rescue tortoise from the Tortoise Trust, having been given up by an elderly lady who'd had him for 40 years.

Also a lonely goldfish (called Whale) in a nice aquarium. His mate died a couple of weeks ago so we are about to get a new one. We've had him about 4 or 5 years.

We spend more money feeding that gang, plus the birds in the garden, than we do on feeding ourselves! Worth every penny though.