What question would annoy you the most?

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
People have told me to go to the Amazon Jungle and smoke ayahuasca, or to eat cinnamon, or that the government is hiding the cure!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why are you eating that? You can't have sugar! (Yes I can, I am a T1 and my blood sugar is going down so I'm going to die soon! Stop telling me what to do!)

And this one guy I know who is a T2 and tells me to stop worrying about my numbers so much and says that I am over-reacting.
Me: "Oh no my blood sugar is 12 that's really bad!" Him: "that's not bad I get that all the time" He also claims to have an A1c in the 4's so I don't know why he's getting 12s all the time if he's supposedly that good.

My personal favourite (didn't really annoy me, I just thought it was hilarious): "Do you ever just stare at people while you're doing an injection? Like to intimidate them?"

Reactions: Robinredbreast

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, Icy weather, Getting old.
Yes I know what you mean. People often say 'Oh you must be type 1' because I'm not overweight so can't possibly be type 2. I do think a little too much emphasis is placed on the weight aspect. I know it's an important factor in a lot of cases, but there are a significant number of tofis out there. I know that we probably do have fatty organs on the inside but this is glossed over and not enough attention is given to it when talking about reversing diabetes etc.

Reactions: Bagpuss-wheels

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I was once told that I didn't look diabetic. When I asked why the response was "you don't look pasty enough"!

Reactions: gsf1996

jarandhel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just diagnosed last month, but the one I already hate the most is "Can you eat that?" (or, worse, "You can't eat that, you're diabetic!") I get variations on it from everyone from my coworkers to waiters at restaurants who see me testing. Yes, boss - in fact, I *can* have a Chipotle Burrito for lunch - if I take it without rice, or if I have it with rice but only eat half the burrito. I've tested before eating, and again two hours later, and it does not spike my blood sugar into a bad level unless I try to eat the whole thing with rice in one sitting. Yes, I *can* in fact have diet soda when I am out at a restaurant. No, it does not impact my blood sugar at all, Mr. Waiter.

And what really gets me is that a lot of times it is other diabetics doing it. My regional manager has type 1.5, he's on insulin, and he's constantly questioning my lunch choices even though I've shown him my numbers because the same foods in the same quantities would cause him to spike. The waiter who questioned my choice of diet soda was himself diabetic, and apparently someone along the way had told him that even diet sodas using non-caloric sweeteners would raise his blood sugar.

Slightly behind that is the question, when hearing that I've managed to control my diabetes fairly well (in the past week, for example, my highest reading was 143 and my lowest was 79 - when I was first diagnosed, I was at 359 with an A1C of 10.1.) after only a month and with some diet changes and meds (metformin and glipizide), "oh, do you think you'll be able to stop taking medicine entirely (and control it with just diet)?" Is it possible I could keep my blood sugar under control through diet and regular testing without meds? Maybe. But *why*? I'd have to go on a much much more restrictive diet if I did that, and personally I would rather keep taking four pills a day and be able to eat some Chipotle now and then, or my mother-in-law's slow cooker potato soup. Why is going off meds the first thing people think when they hear that you've gotten your blood sugar under control with meds? Is there some serious side effect posed by long-term usage that I haven't heard about yet?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there some serious side effect posed by long-term usage that I haven't heard about yet?

If we are insulin resistant, and have plenty of our own insulin but it doesn't work properly due to the resistance, then yes, Gliclazide has unseen side effects. It forces the pancreas to produce extra insulin, but if we have enough insulin anyway, it creates a surplus of circulating insulin that is inflammatory, can cause CVD problems, encourages weight gain, and makes the insulin resistance worse. It also hammers the pancreas.

Of course, if we have very little of our own insulin (confirmed by tests), then it is a useful and probably essential drug.

Reactions: AloeSvea

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
People insisting I must need to eat because _they_ are hungry is a good one. I sometimes eat just once a day, in the evening, but usually twice - because I’m just not hungry. And if my sugars are steady, there’s no need to. Husband and teenaged son are cool with it, but it’s amazimg how many people try to shove food down me that I just don’t want.

Reactions: MargaretR

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
People insisting I must need to eat because _they_ are hungry is a good one. I sometimes eat just once a day, in the evening, but usually twice - because I’m just not hungry. And if my sugars are steady, there’s no need to. Husband and teenaged son are cool with it, but it’s amazimg how many people try to shove food down me that I just don’t want.
That particular habit is much more appreciated when it's drinks and not food. ;)

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
"You can reverse it by diet - did you know that?"
Me: "Yes, I did know that, but it does not always work..."
"Are you sure you are not being positive-thinking enough?"
Me: [Weak smile, and try to control images of murder in my head!]

yakudueye1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sandwich and cold foods
SAMPLES

"Is Diabetes contagious?"

"Do I get diabetes eating too much candies/choco?"

"Will you ever stop taking insulin"

"Well at least is not cancer..."

other (comment down below!!), please...
are you looking after yourself always touches my last button of sanity

Gates

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have to give this one more thought.
All of the above I’m type 2 not due to diet but because of medication
Especially when I was a child;
"Of course you're not allowed that." "£$%!rrrrrr
Once I had become used to feeling better (aged 21 onwards);
"One chocolate won't do you any harm" Maybe one punch won't do them any harm?
:)

Reactions: Grant_Vicat