what should i do?

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For years, my GP nagged me for annual checkups for high blood pressure that I didn't have. I used to bin the letters, thinking they were about my urinary problems that are being dealt with by the hospital, but when I actually bothered to read one, it was "You suffer from high blood pressure and are on medication for it." No, I wasn't, and never had been. My BP used to hit 160 over something, but just as they were about to put me on meds, I got out of a bad relationship, and it dropped 20 points overnight. It was purely stress.

But digging through my results (which I can now do via the Patient Access site) I can see I was flagged with pre-diabetes 10 years ago. The urinary problems leave me with regular water infections, and they always found sugar when they tested, and always made me do a fasting blood test, which always came out as non-diabetic. But apparently the last one came through as pre-diabetic. I can't honestly say whether they informed me or not, but surely they should have been chasing me every year for diabetes tests, rather than for a blood pressure problem I didn't have.

A few years ago, I actually considered suing the NHS for their negligence when I was born, back in 1968. They noticed but failed to correct a birth defect which, had it been sorted in infancy. As a result, I'd just been told I'd have to self-catheterise 3 times a day for the rest of my life. I also have to put up with the kind of symptoms that people only normally get if they've caught something sexually transmitted, which of course is inconvenient and embarrassing. Though between the catheters and having good antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin) on repeat prescription, I haven't had a serious infection for a long time, though it was one that wasn't responding to Cipro that got me tested for diabetes earlier this month.

I spoke to people who worked for the NHS, and they said "Go for it. They've got insurance." I didn't bother in the end, since it didn't look like I'd be able to backdate something to 1968. But certainly don't feel guilty that your compensation is costing some old lady her hip replacement, as some would have you believe. It isn't.

Though if it's your GP that's made the error, then you may be suing the practice rather than the NHS. As I understand it, your GP is basically an independent contractor working on behalf of the NHS, rather than an actual NHS employee.