Type 2 What Should My Personal Targets Be?

HoneyPot2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed as having Type 2 Diabetes (or at least being pre-diabetic; confusingly it depended on which medic I was meeting with) in Sept 2015.
At that time/last month I had the following data:
HbA1c FPG Cholesterol Weight(Kg) BMI Body Fat Mass Visceral Fat
51(6.9%) 5.7 5.8 95.3 31.1 30.1 28.7 17.0 (late Aug 2015)
41(5.9%) 5.7 3.4 78.0 25.3 23.2 18.9 13.0 (mid June 2016)

I am quite pleased with this outcome (although puzzled that my FPG, unlike all the other stats, hasn't altered beneficially). For those of you who might be interested I have achieved this by following the conventional advice ie. portion control, cutting out some bad eating habits (tho' not all) more exercise (though not all that much) reduction in carbs and daily monitoring and recording in some rather boring detail everything I consume (forcing me to be ultra honest with myself every day). The latter helps me monitor my current average dietary intake (since Sept 1st) which daily is currently as follows:

Carbs (starch) Calories Non Sat Fats Saturated Fats Sugars Protein Fibre
83g 1286 34g 16g 47g 88g 25g

So my question is: can anyone recommend source information (or personal experience) about what targets I should be aiming for with regard to my body fat, mass and visceral fat status going forward. This is probably linked in some way to my BMI data and will also be contingent upon my age (mid 60s), gender (male) etc

Any suggestions would be very welcome, please?

I have been told recently that I have reversed my slide towards diabetes, which is of course very cheering, but I recognise there is no room for complacency. For me the close monitoring/measuring of what I eat has helped me get control of my situation and having a clear understanding of what targets I should be striving for personally is very motivational.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @HoneyPot2 ,

We often get questions like this and it's impossible to answer. YOU have to decide what your targets are in terms of BMI and blood glucose levels etc. Once you've decided what you want to acheive, maybe forum members can advise you how to get there.

I think it's important to feel happy in yourself, so if your blood glucose is within an acceptable range (as it appears to be) then don't get over stressed about weight. If I understand your data correctly, your BMI is now 25 which is only just inside the overweight portion of the reference data.

I did notice that in your figures above, you appear to differentiate sugar and carbohydrates. Sugar is a carbohydrate and all carbs turn into glucose in the body.