What Specialty In The Nhs Has The Worst Waiting Times Where You Are ?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Hi. I waited ten months from referral to treatment at a Respiratory Unit for a sleeping disorder. This is a long overdue wait for treatment and diagnosis in my books even by NHS standards.

I have also noticed the Diabetes Clinic at my local hospital has long waiting lists to be seen and constant "been bumped down the list" for next clinic times. ENT is also a long wait too.

I would like to know if there are any similar stories in your area and how long the waits are.

Thanks
Edward. :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @eddie1968 I think I am in the same health board area as you. I have been bothering the NHS quite a bit this year unfortunately. I have been to five hospitals for tests and treatments and have been surprised at how quick and efficient the system has been. Very professional and I couldn't have been treated better. I suppose it depends on what department you need so it is difficult to compare apples with apples. I hope you get sorted soon :)

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been waiting for an "urgent" appointment requested by my doctor for a referral regarding my glaucoma as I now have very limited sight in my left eye and as I had not received it after 5 weeks spoke to my doctor and he said they have 10 weeks to give you an urgent appointment ! Thank god he did not ask for a routine one .

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with diabetes after a routine eye exam, I was referred to my GP by my optician and told I needed to make an appointment with the diabetes nurse and an appointment to get an eye scan at the hospital, I had to wait over 6 weeks to see the diabetes nurse and had to wait 18 weeks before being able to make an appointment to get my eyes scanned, 18 weeks BEFORE any appointments were available. Luckily my diabetes nurse managed to bump me up.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
It's a postcode lottery methinks @Avocado Sevenfold I am in the Greater Glasgow and Clyde Area for the NHS. :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
in north east wales here ----------------- the opthalmology department leaves a bad taste in the mouth year after year -- i am meant to be seen at 6 monthly intervals ( have had laser and eye injections for retinopathy and macular odema ) so I am not just a tourist :eek:
but they consistently do not meet the 6 monthly goal -- i always have to ring and chase and usually get seen by about month 8

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a dermatology appointment this week, almost a year to the day since referral.

An ENT appointment next week 6 weeks after referral.

Still waiting to be seen by lymphodema service since diagnosis in February this year.

The longest wait was 2 years and two months for abdominal repair surgery to correct earlier surgical adhesions.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
After my op I was supposed to have a follow up appointment at six weeks after having one cancelled an hour before appointed time my appointment now is for the 12th of next month that will be five months after the op rather than the six weeks it was supposed to be.

Forgot to say that's Cardio Vascular.

A

asparagusp

I am having a lot of difficulty controlling blood sugar and had blood tests in mid July in anticipation of seeing my consultant mid September.

Guess what. I received a letter from Outpatients changing my appointment to the end of January! What is crazy is that the consultant is there in September .....