What sugar substitute works best for you...

K

Kat100

I made a lemon cake today, looks really nice ( made with Splenda ) my first attempt...with Splenda....
Oh my goodness it tasted awful, just did not work for my taste buds....could not digest the taste...
My oh tried really hard to eat some cake telling me it was ok...but we had to give in...

Going to try another cake at the weekend with either xylitiol or a half and half sugar with stevia
Hope the next cake taste better...

What do you find works best in your baking ......just interested....as I am still learning...

The garden birds won't even touch the crumbs I have put out :/ Kat x not a Splenda one .....

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
i made blueberry muffins from almonds a couple of weeks ago using splenda. Couldn't really tell if the splenda left a taste as I bought salted roasted almonds and not natural so the salt over powered everything. Bit of a disaster really so took them to work and made others eat them rofl.
I will try the muffins again this weekend and let you know how the splenda turns out.

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

i made blueberry muffins from almonds a couple of weeks ago using splenda. Couldn't really tell if the splenda left a taste as I bought salted roasted almonds and not natural so the salt over powered everything. Bit of a disaster really so took them to work and made others eat them rofl.
I will try the muffins again this weekend and let you know how the splenda turns out.
Thank you, I will try again this weekend, but use something other than Splenda....seem to be testing them all...x
You give baking disasters to others to eat ;)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you, I will try again this weekend, but use something other than Splenda....seem to be testing them all...x
You give baking disasters to others to eat ;)
Not going to suffer on my own... Wife tried one bite, daughters wouldn't try them at all so work had to suffer and they are a bunch of gannets.

Thought this time I will replace the blueberries with pieces of dark chocolate and swap out half the almond meal for desiccated coconut

K

Kat100

Not going to suffer on my own... Wife tried one bite, daughters wouldn't try them at all so work had to suffer and they are a bunch of gannets.

Thought this time I will replace the blueberries with pieces of dark chocolate and swap out half the almond meal for desiccated coconut
Yummie, dark chocolate and coconut.....getting into baking mood now lol .....

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yummie, dark chocolate and coconut.....getting into baking mood now lol .....
Me too... May have to tell my WoW guildies I'm not raiding tonight and make a mess in the kitchen instead

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I agree with you Kat about Splenda. I find that in bigger amounts is DOES have an aftertaste. I haven't investigated any others yet but I must. I need to get back into low carb baking mode and would be most interested in other sweeteners. I find Splenda is great in small amounts though like sprinkling on sharp tasting berries or rhubarb.

I am sure there must be others on here who do bake a lot and know more than we do about sweeteners! :)

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Ive found the best one for cooking is Eurythritol, or something like that. Its granulated like sugar, maybe thats why it works, its less powdery. It is quite expensive and I've only found it on line.

K

Kat100

I agree with you Kat about Splenda. I find that in bigger amounts is DOES have an aftertaste. I haven't investigated any others yet but I must. I need to get back into low carb baking mode and would be most interested in other sweeteners. I find Splenda is great in small amounts though like sprinkling on sharp tasting berries or rhubarb.

I am sure there must be others on here who do bake a lot and know more than we do about sweeteners! :)
Hi popsy, let's make a positive pledge to bake .....ha ha ....:) x

K

Kat100

Ive found the best one for cooking is Eurythritol, or something like that. Its granulated like sugar, maybe thats why it works, its less powdery. It is quite expensive and I've only found it on line.
Hi Lenny I am going to use xylitiol .....it might be the same one you are talking about I know it has a few different names ....thank you Kat

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So here are my muffins out of the oven. The ones with raspberries are blueberry and the front ones are the coconut and chocolate

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Attachments

• 1395509565532.jpg
    1395509565532.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 240
Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Hi Andrew they look really delicious .......can I have one now, this time I think you may be eating and enjoying them with your family...
It's lemon cake tomorrow.....for us.....fingers crossed...

A pot of aubergine and chickpea....spice dish is just cooking...

Lovely photo ......I don't know how to do that....thank you so much for sharing .......Kat x

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
From the app on my phone I clicked the plus next to quick reply. Then in the top right click option and you can add a picture. On main PC just paste it in works

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I use Truvia. It is insanely sweet and makes me jittery. It is a sacrifice I am prepared to make for muffins lol

Reactions: 3 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
So here are my muffins out of the oven. The ones with raspberries are blueberry and the front ones are the coconut and chocolate

Look yummmm Andrew. Have you posted to recipe yet? I suppose it might be in the recipe section but it's easier just to ask you :happy: