What to actually eat?

Doireallyneedanams

Hi All

I’ve recently had bloods done and whilst I am in the normal range, I am making changes to my diet to lower both cholesterol and hba1c. Both are normal but I would like them lower due to a family history of issues with both.

The issue I’m having is that it’s impossible to eat for both. A Google for LDL lowering foods suggests oats, beans, bananas! All things I would ordinarily avoid to keep my glucose in check.

I’ve also got reflux to throw in to the mix, which means I am having to cut out a lot of my favourites, onions etc.

To those trying to keep their cholesterol and glucose in good shape, what do you find yourself eating for meals?

I feel overwhelmed.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I decided to just fight one battle at a time, high cholesterol is said to be bad for your heart, but high blood sugar is bad for your heart, kidneys, liver, eyes, feet, ect.
So I reduced my carb intake and increased protein & fats, weird thing is as well as lowering my sugar levels, loosing weight and making my NAFLD disappear, my cholesterol is also much improved.
Seems it was the carbs causing all of my problems.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, all my lipids greatly improved after cutting carbs and adding more fats, including those so called bad fats like butter, cheese and eggs.
So I'm not believing it's those foods which caused my lipids to be out of whack.

Doireallyneedanams

Thank you for the replies. That’s definitely reassuring, it makes things sound a lot easier. I’ve found myself staring at the back of foods in the supermarket unable to find anything I can snack on, it’s just unrealistic.

Reactions: Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the replies. That’s definitely reassuring, it makes things sound a lot easier. I’ve found myself staring at the back of foods in the supermarket unable to find anything I can snack on, it’s just unrealistic.
Generally anything that needs a nutrition label, or is designated a "snack" are not so good for us. Simple real one word foods such as chicken, beef, cheese, cream, cabbage, egg etc need no labels.
Eat enough at one meal to feel full until the next meal =no snacking needed.

Having said that I do find some of the lower carb nut bars (NOT fruit and nut bars) keep well for emergencies. However I'd do still check the labels as they constantly change formulations and ingredients.

• Agree
Reactions: catinahat