What to ask at my next review

TimLaws

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am due to book my next 6 monthly review and need some guidance on what to ask for ie the tests that I need to have done.

I am Type 2 andI currently take Metformin 1000 mg (2 doses of 500 mg) 7.5 mg Ramipril & 20mg Pravastatin daily.

I am 58 Male and my last numbers where, in March HbA1c - IFCC standardised - 37, BP - 126/79
My cholesterol was not measured in March but last November and was, - Serum LDL 1.9 mol/L , no other readings were given to me re cholesterol.
I am following a Low Carb Lowish fat diet most of the week but Sat/Sunday I will treat myself to a croissant and very occasionally a Roast sunday Lunch with 1 potato with wine - Oh what a wild weekend life I lead!

My BMI is 27 and I have lost 4 stone over the last 12 - 18 months.

I exercise 4 -5 times a week a combination of High Intensity Circuit Training and Road Cycling, I do not smoke - now!

I was aiming to be medication free but a little research has shown to me that the reduction in Cardio vascular risk and post MI recovery afforded by Metformin means I will probably accept that I need to take it ad infinitum. The Statin & antihypertensive, well they do seem to be working and hence reducing 2 CV risk factors. I believe that around 80% of diabetics die or suffer the consequences of some sort of Cardio vascular event ie MI, stroke etc

Does anyone know what Cholesterol "parameters" i should be looking at and if there are any good infomation sources on the use of statins in DT2?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am due to book my next 6 monthly review and need some guidance on what to ask for ie the tests that I need to have done.

Have a look at the 15 Healthcare Essentials:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/15-healthcare-essentials/

Does anyone know what Cholesterol "parameters" i should be looking at

Make sure you ask for a fasting cholesterol check if you want a full lipid breakdown, the following are the target cholesterol levels that they want people with diabetes to aim for:

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
  • LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
  • HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
  • Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/Testing/

Good luck and hope your review goes well.