What to do about high morning reads/fasting numbers?

Zambarau

I'm in my second week of diagnosis and have recently started taking my morning readings. They're higher than at any other time of the day and rise. I was doing intermittent fasting and was happy with my pre and post meal numbers. However due to high morning readings I can't follow IF, sadly. I'm a bit disheartened about this. For example, this morning at 8am I had a BG of 6.4, then at 9:45 it was 7.1. I then had some nuts and Greek yoghurt. What are effective alternatives to IF? What else can I do about high fasting numbers? Thank you.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm in my second week of diagnosis and have recently started taking my morning readings. They're higher than at any other time of the day and rise. I was doing intermittent fasting and was happy with my pre and post meal numbers. However due to high morning readings I can't follow IF, sadly. I'm a bit disheartened about this. For example, this morning at 8am I had a BG of 6.4, then at 9:45 it was 7.1. I then had some nuts and Greek yoghurt. What are effective alternatives to IF? What else can I do about high fasting numbers? Thank you.
Hello, and welcome, @Zambarau .
Many of us find that fasting blood glucose is the most difficult to control. This is due, in part to what is termed as Dawn Phenomenon, or a liver dump.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/the-dawn-effect
Ialso experience the problem you have described when I try IF. What helped me was shifting my eating pattern, which now tends to be a low carb breakfast at around 10 am, then no lunch, and evening meal done before 7pm. So my fast is between 7 pm and 10 am next day, with a smaller fast in the middle.
I am sure others will offer their solutions too. It is early in your diagnosis, and sometimes folks need to try the different methods of BG control to see what suits them best. It can depend on your diabetes type, and whetherbor not you are on medication. If you haven’t already, have a look at the info for new members. It is in my signature.