What to do...

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've been type 1 diabetic for 10 years and it has been an incredibly hard journey for me and it isn't getting better.

I moved away from the UK after suffering with many bouts of depression, and moving away helped somewhat. Now though, after reading on this website, I am sure I am suffering with a Diabetic Burnout, everything it says rings true to me.

Living outside of Europe, means I get practically no help from anyone. Depression lately has resurfaced and I feel down and self abusive. I can't even check my blood sugar levels where I am, because the cartridges I had, are out of date and are not available here.

I don't have the money to buy a new meter or anything like that. All I have been doing for the past few years is injecting 60 units of Glargin once per day. I have no idea about my blood levels or anything like that. I just go on what I feel I need...

Not sure why I am posting this, a cry for help, sure... but impossible to be helped while away from the UK.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You don't say where you are and why you can't get help. There must be something where you are.
Welcome to the forum

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If getting help where you are is impossible then is moving back to the UK an option for you? Perhaps if you view it as a temporary move whilst you get help for the depression you're experiencing and try to get on top of your diabetes again.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
SophiaW said:
If getting help where you are is impossible then is moving back to the UK an option for you? Perhaps if you view it as a temporary move whilst you get help for the depression you're experiencing and try to get on top of your diabetes again.

I echo what Sophie has said, your health comes first before above anything else. What Country is it you live in now?

A

Anonymous

Your health is so important Brit.... you probably need to reconsider your options if you're not able to get help where you are living. It's bad enough having diabetes to contend with, let alone other conditions such as depression. I hope you're able to get some help soon as you deserve it. :D

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for the response.

I don't want to publicise everything about me, you know it's personal, but having no one to talk to about anything makes you feel very solitary.

I am living in Thailand now, because I actually felt happier when I moved away from England. Because I understand being happy with yourself is extremely important but I still suffer with bouts of depression.

I work out here, but not a lot of money being in a third world country, everything costs money. So help from doctors is difficult as there is also the language barrier. The care in the UK for Diabetes is by far superior compared to here.

Maybe I can come back to England, but I have been removed from the doctors by now and then what do I do if I go back to the UK. I now have more problems such as a Rotator Cuff injury on top of the normal problems associated with bad control of Diabetes.

I am not stupid and people think I am acting it, and I agree, but unless someone has been where I have (and I am sure people have) everything just seems bleak.

Thank you for the positive feedback, it feels good.