what to eat when sugars go low

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All

What do you guys who are on a low carb diet eat if/when your sugars go low? Been on a low carb diet for 3 days now and my sugars dropped to 3.5 this evenning (due to having too much insulin after my meal) Decided to eat some fruit- seemed to do the trick-is this the right thing to do? Spose so if Im still able to write this post and Im still breathing!! :lol:
Couldve killed some biscuits or some of that birthday cake on the side in the kitchen tho :twisted:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Rich,

You should always have a stock of dextrose or lucozade tablets handy. I always keep a packet in the car, a couple in the house and one in my coat pocket when I am out. In the house you need something that will raise your BS quickly, so a good alternative is breakfast orange, followed by a bit of carb for something longer lasting to keep the BS above hypo levels until the next meal. A couple of digestive biscuits will do this - or a small slice of that birthday cake!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i have gluco tabs for when i go low :D

lucati

Dislikes
Marmite!
When your sugar levels go low, forget about the amount of carbs that glucose tablets contain and HAVE SOME RIGHT AWAY! Special measures for special circumstances, there's no other safe way I'm afraid. 10 minutes later have a cereal bar or crisps (say with about 15g of carbs, mainly starch) to prevent a repeat hypo.

tolpuddleman

hi guys

I always keep some jelly babies handy - someone said 3 of these will do the trick.

I don't post much but am starting to see the value of diet-controls in the management of d.

Still trying to get my head round the pluses and minuses of it all.

BTW - best book I have read is titled 'Conquering Diabetes' by Anne Peters MD (pub April 2005.)

It was a chance find in a Vancouver bookstore - very easy to read, even though it's an American publication.

http://conqueringdiabetes.com/content/author.html

Kim_C

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My diabetic nurse told me to have a slug of full sugar coke if I get low, she says it works quicker

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't go low enough to need help. Metformin low dose and diet control. However, T1 husband has his moments and WILL NOT take glucotabs. Says they taste awful. So we keep lucozade for him.The Smaller Bottles in the kitchen, bedroom and both cars and he carries one to work in his back pack. works fast.