What to eat?

oliveview

A typical days meals goes like this:

Breakfast
Porridge made with 50/50 skimmed/semi skimmed milk - no sugar or substitute

Maybe once a week when we go shopping we will have breakfast out so then it is toasted bread with olive oil and fresh tomato. That is about the only time I eat bread

Lunch:
Homemade veg soup (no bread) or grilled fish (salmon, sardines or mackeral) with a very small jacket potato

For a mid morning or afternoon snack I will have either a banana (not too ripe) or if I have any, some home made fruit cake made with no sugar added or maybe 2 digestive biscuits

Evening meal:

Grilled chicken or very lean pork (with no fat)
Brown rice or wholemeal pasta or a small jacket potato and a little veg
or
Wholemeal Pasta or spaghetti with homemade tom sauce (Toms from my garden :D )
for a pudding I normally have an orange

If I am hungry in the evenings I will have a shredded wheat with skimmed milk or no added sugar muesli and skimmed milk

My diet doesn´t vary that much from above. I might make chicken meatballs now and again. In the summer I will eat more salad foods.

We live in Spain and I don´t get to see a dietician here, so any advice on food would be appreciated.

I´m type 2 but my sugars are well under control- just my cholesterol that needs sorting out (5.8)
I´m about 1 1/2 stone overweight. trying to get it down gradually though.
I´m taking cod liver oil tablets and drink a Benecol drink every day.

I don´t like cheese!

I look forward to your help
Thanks

Trinkwasser

Don't ask us, ask your meter! <G>

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Personally I couldn't do nearly that much starch, and reducing the carbs has hugely improved my lipids. If your diet is giving you good BG numbers try more exercise, olive oil and red wine. If it doesn't work you'll enjoy it anyway.

What would be useful is a full breakdown of your lipids. That would give you some idea what to target.