what veg is best to spiralize?

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just bought a spiralizer and so far I've tried sweet potato and carrot so far and made crisps. It worked well so I'm keen to try other veg, for making crisps or 'spaghetti'.

Anyone got suggestions for low(ish)carb veg to try?
BTW I hate courgette but am willing to try it as people do seem to rave about it ???

thanks!

Reactions: 3 people

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Mrs NMD sliced her finger 15 seconds after unwrapping it. It's been banished to the bottom drawer ever since!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love courgetti! I dry fry it and then when it is cooked add a large knob of butter and some salt, sometimes garlic too. Wouldn't normally describe myself as a lover of courgettes but in this form they are great! I know you can also do celeriac which I would like to try but celeriac is an odd shape and I only have a small spiralizer so it really didn't cope well! Beetroot would work well but quite high in carbs. Peppers?

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Those large radishes called 'Mooli' are nice and crunchy, if low in flavour, but bulk up stir fries well in place of noodles.Celeriac works if you cut it into chunks first, add mayonnaise and some herbs and you'll have a classic french salad - Celeri Remoulade - which I can't go a day without on holiday in France.

Reactions: 7 people

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i tried red pepper and it was a disaster, lol. Its the wrong shape and too squishy, and like Mrs MND, I grated my finger - if there is a knack, I'd love to know.

I'll peruse the veg aisle tonight in Asda and see what catches my eye, I do love celeriac so will definitely get one. I *will* try courgette....

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need a really firm one with a thick bottom and do it on the slicing blade and go slow - how is everyone cutting themselves? The blades are nowhere near fingers? A little tip for cleaning I use a firm veg brush to clean the blades then just rinse everything under a running tap.

Did you watch any of the videos on the how to link @MrsMoose ? - they are good if your struggling - try yellow or orange or even green peppers they may be a bit firmer - keep going you'll soon be a wizard spiralizer!

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ah, it all becomes clear. I don't know about anyone else but I don't have that kind of spiralizer. Mine is hand held - see pic. I end up grating my knuckle as i get near the end of whatever I'm spiralizing. I should use the holder thing that comes with it!!

Attachments

• spiralizer.jpg
    spiralizer.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 356

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
ah, it all becomes clear. I don't know about anyone else but I don't have that kind of spiralizer. Mine is hand held - see pic. I end up grating my knuckle as i get near the end of whatever I'm spiralizing. I should use the holder thing that comes with it!!

Holder thing?
You've got the posh version!!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only went and bought one of those table top spiralizers like lovinglife posted about. Its fab. No more grazed knuckles!! Just need to figure out how to cut veg without losing the tips of my fingers.... I feel my entire veg intake will be spirally! :D

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only went and bought one of those table top spiralizers like lovinglife posted about. Its fab. No more grazed knuckles!! Just need to figure out how to cut veg without losing the tips of my fingers.... I feel my entire veg intake will be spirally! :D
You're gonna love it - a little tip for cleaning get a brush for doing the blades - safer and super quick - let me know how you get on - the videos on the site I posted are really worth watching - enjoy:)

MrsMoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do so far. I made celeriac remoulade the other day - oooh, get me! I do find celeriac a bit tricky as it keeps falling off. Practice makes perfect :rolleyes: