1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What would be your ideal care model for the NHS with your Type 2 Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by tim2000s, Nov 11, 2015.

1. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I might hope they would have a clue, but I must admit that expecting them to have a clue wouldn't be my starting point.

I know that's not ideal, but it does limit my frustrations, and means I usually have a bit of a plan for how I will manage those who want to manage/care for me. Management is a two way process.

Of course, in a situation where someone can't participate in their care it is very different, but on the other hand, if the patient were on insulin, then perhaps the sliding scale or whatever the basic plan is in these circumstances is, could be more appropriate anyway.

2. Rudyard

Rudyard Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Given that there's supposed to be an epidemic of Diabetes in the UK, you'd think that doctors & nurses in hospitals would have at least some diabetes knowledge - or perhaps a central contact team who DID have!

3. Wenan

Wenan Type 2 · Member

I'd like something in the press to say something that not all people who become type 2 are overweight (I wasn't). My sister just told me she is now borderline and she isn't overweight either.

• Like Like x 2
  4. wendypendine

wendypendine · Newbie

There is insufficient information on diet and fitness given they would be better refering patients to groups like Slimming World and to local fitness and leisure centres. A year ago at 67 I was 16 stone, I did not do any type of exercise ( I never had) and was on 3 type of medication for my diabetes and was told I would probably have to go on insulin. I took things into my own hands after talking to another person with type 2 and enrolled at Slimming World and joined the local swimming pool and gym, I have lost 5 stone & I now swim 1/4 mile a day, do 3 gym fitness classes , 2 aquarobic sessions, a hydro-rider session and 4 gym work outs a week. I am down to one 500gm metformin a day and expecting that to be stopped at my next clinic. My readings are well under control now. I believe that for most type 2 diabetics diet and fitness needs to be the first priority not just handing out medication.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Wildrover

Wildrover Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's appropriate to this thread or not, but from my experience, when first diagnosed about 5 years ago, and told that I was T2, doctor had me see the DN, who told me about Diabetes, all of which went completely over my head, ( no family history) and because I still felt well, I done nothing about it for about 3 years, Until stumbling upon this website, Only then did I start to understand AND learn about this affliction, one fact I gathered is that by 2030 50% of Americans will be Diabetic, My point being, I feel that this site has been a saviour for me because of the vast amount of knowledge here, therefore this site should be promoted more by the GP Practices and their staff, by leaflets or well made up pamphlets and should be the Diabetics first port of call, "knowledge is power" Yes you'll get people who won't do anything about it, But, like me, there are many many people who really do want to do something to save from further complications later on in life, IMHO

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook