1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What's everyone's hba1cs?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Jokeeble1987, Mar 8, 2013.

1. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My doctor tells me both. I've also worked out a system for conversion though haha

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

2. Randburg

Randburg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The old format was to use a % and some countries like South Africa still use this system. Just recently there has been a change to reporting HBA1c in mmol/mol, that is a number ie 46.
    The only reason I could find for the change was that reporting a HBA1c as a % gave readings close to Blood Glucose readings, and this was causing confusion.
    There is a lot of info on this site and also conversion tables for HBA1c from old to new
    Hope that helps ?

• Like Like x 5
  3. debbieg

debbieg Type 2 · Member

5.1 today! And that's over Christmas too! Yay!!

4. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Thanks for the explanation - I've been a bit confused as to why the different measurements.

Mine on three tests for diagnosis in Nov/Dec last year was 60-61mmol/mol and this month is 47.

Robbity

#64 Robbity, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  5. magriffe1

magriffe1 Type 2 · Member

My HbA1c was 39 last week. My DN seemed pleased with that. Overall things seem to be going well but I think being vegan helps and having daily 'green smoothies'. Is anyone else vegan and if so do they think it helps with their diabetes? I also take loads of supplements and am trying to do workouts every day. However I'm so tired a lot of the time that I only manage about every third day. I really don't understand how HbA!c in new money equates to old money. Randburg, can you tell me where I can find the conversion site, please?

6. michelle88

michelle88 LADA · Well-Known Member

7. James Gordon

James Gordon Type 2 · Newbie

Sarah,

A Professor from Newcastle - whose name I forget - has done a study where he suggests if you go onto a 600 cal diet for two months you can beat diabetes. I am not able to get to 600 but I have managed 800 - 1100 calls a day for 1 week. My first week. My glucose has dropped to 6.8 - from 12's - for the last three consecutive days and I have lost 5 lbs during this first week. I intend to start exercise next week and I hope by May to have beaten the disease.

The diet is not as bad as it might appear. If members are interested I can explain how I have done that.

8. stokie

stokie · Member

Mine was 46 at a blood test 3 weeks ago down from 117 when I was in hospital having a toe amputation and was first diagnosed t2

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

9. Orkney 1

Orkney 1 Type 2 · Member

Can beat you all mine is 17.7

10. Failure

Failure Type 2 · Member

11. Orkney 1

Orkney 1 Type 2 · Member

Ok failure you win. Keep well

• Like Like x 2
  12. sammy1998

sammy1998 Type 2 · Active Member

13. Failure

Failure Type 2 · Member

I try,,,,

I went to hospital for a spinal injection only to be told after 2 hours that my B.S was way too high... Only if thay had asked i would have told them sooner and that this was the norm for me....

14. Disneyfan

Disneyfan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

i've not had one since October, it was 36 (5.4%), that was up from 31 in the July, the previous October was 36 too. I think the next one might not be too good :(

15. Lesley0309

Lesley0309 · Newbie

Mine is 5.4 gone up from 4.4 in 6 weeks which is a relief. Hypos through the night my nurse told me, even though my readings in a morning were high

16. sammy1998

sammy1998 Type 2 · Active Member

17. Dizzyangel75

Dizzyangel75 Type 2 · Member

My last hbA1c was 34 (new numbers) and Im told this is too low?!?! This works out at 5 or 6 something I think and cant see how this is too low?!

18. paul-1976

paul-1976 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's not too low-in fact it's great! :)

19. Dizzyangel75

Im glad your levels have dropped and you are doing better but I think this kind of diet is dangerous. Personally speaking unless you have prediabetes I know of no way to "beat" or cure diabetes. You either have it or you dont!

The reason your levels drop on that amount of calories is probably because you are eating so little! The less you put in = the less blood sugar! Its simple logic. It will lower your sugars and help you lose weight but its not going to cure your diabetes. The minute you return to a more normal diet you will most likely see a return of symptoms.

I have heard of this diet before and the Professors claims. At the time I was diagnosed I was eating around 800 calories a day because I was paranoid at raising my BG. It did not cure my diabetes, or anything even approaching it!

20. Dizzyangel75

Thanks Paul, I totally agree!! But my GP keeps saying a diabetic consultant would tell me its too low and he keeps wanting to reduce my meds further! I think its bang on! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Classed as T2 (hereditary gene on both sides of family, 4th generation diabetic)
    hbA1c at diagnosis (old numbers) 29.7
    Last hbA1c (new numbers) 34 (told too low)
    500mg metformin x3 (recently lowered from 850mg)
    40mg gliclizide x2
    Low carb

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook