What's everyone's hba1cs?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctor tells me both. I've also worked out a system for conversion though haha

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
The old format was to use a % and some countries like South Africa still use this system. Just recently there has been a change to reporting HBA1c in mmol/mol, that is a number ie 46.
The only reason I could find for the change was that reporting a HBA1c as a % gave readings close to Blood Glucose readings, and this was causing confusion.
There is a lot of info on this site and also conversion tables for HBA1c from old to new
Hope that helps ?

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The old format was to use a % and some countries like South Africa still use this system. Just recently there has been a change to reporting HBA1c in mmol/mol, that is a number ie 46.
The only reason I could find for the change was that reporting a HBA1c as a % gave readings close to Blood Glucose readings, and this was causing confusion.
There is a lot of info on this site and also conversion tables for HBA1c from old to new
Hope that helps ?

Thanks for the explanation - I've been a bit confused as to why the different measurements.

Mine on three tests for diagnosis in Nov/Dec last year was 60-61mmol/mol and this month is 47.

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:

magriffe1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My HbA1c was 39 last week. My DN seemed pleased with that. Overall things seem to be going well but I think being vegan helps and having daily 'green smoothies'. Is anyone else vegan and if so do they think it helps with their diabetes? I also take loads of supplements and am trying to do workouts every day. However I'm so tired a lot of the time that I only manage about every third day. I really don't understand how HbA!c in new money equates to old money. Randburg, can you tell me where I can find the conversion site, please?

James Gordon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Abs how did you do that I need help with mine

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sarah,

A Professor from Newcastle - whose name I forget - has done a study where he suggests if you go onto a 600 cal diet for two months you can beat diabetes. I am not able to get to 600 but I have managed 800 - 1100 calls a day for 1 week. My first week. My glucose has dropped to 6.8 - from 12's - for the last three consecutive days and I have lost 5 lbs during this first week. I intend to start exercise next week and I hope by May to have beaten the disease.

The diet is not as bad as it might appear. If members are interested I can explain how I have done that.

Failure

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Needles Of Any Kind :(
Ok failure you win. Keep well

I try,,,,

I went to hospital for a spinal injection only to be told after 2 hours that my B.S was way too high... Only if thay had asked i would have told them sooner and that this was the norm for me....

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i've not had one since October, it was 36 (5.4%), that was up from 31 in the July, the previous October was 36 too. I think the next one might not be too good :(

Lesley0309

Mine is 5.4 gone up from 4.4 in 6 weeks which is a relief. Hypos through the night my nurse told me, even though my readings in a morning were high

Dizzyangel75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My last hbA1c was 34 (new numbers) and Im told this is too low?!?! This works out at 5 or 6 something I think and cant see how this is too low?!

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
My last hbA1c was 34 (new numbers) and Im told this is too low?!?! This works out at 5 or 6 something I think and cant see how this is too low?!

It's not too low-in fact it's great! :)

Dizzyangel75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sarah,

A Professor from Newcastle - whose name I forget - has done a study where he suggests if you go onto a 600 cal diet for two months you can beat diabetes. I am not able to get to 600 but I have managed 800 - 1100 calls a day for 1 week. My first week. My glucose has dropped to 6.8 - from 12's - for the last three consecutive days and I have lost 5 lbs during this first week. I intend to start exercise next week and I hope by May to have beaten the disease.

The diet is not as bad as it might appear. If members are interested I can explain how I have done that.

Im glad your levels have dropped and you are doing better but I think this kind of diet is dangerous. Personally speaking unless you have prediabetes I know of no way to "beat" or cure diabetes. You either have it or you dont!

The reason your levels drop on that amount of calories is probably because you are eating so little! The less you put in = the less blood sugar! Its simple logic. It will lower your sugars and help you lose weight but its not going to cure your diabetes. The minute you return to a more normal diet you will most likely see a return of symptoms.

I have heard of this diet before and the Professors claims. At the time I was diagnosed I was eating around 800 calories a day because I was paranoid at raising my BG. It did not cure my diabetes, or anything even approaching it!

Dizzyangel75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not too low-in fact it's great! :)

Thanks Paul, I totally agree!! But my GP keeps saying a diabetic consultant would tell me its too low and he keeps wanting to reduce my meds further! I think its bang on! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Classed as T2 (hereditary gene on both sides of family, 4th generation diabetic)
hbA1c at diagnosis (old numbers) 29.7
Last hbA1c (new numbers) 34 (told too low)
500mg metformin x3 (recently lowered from 850mg)
40mg gliclizide x2
Low carb