What's is best to eat

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
More than half Type 1 diagnosis made every year are over the age of 18! I was 54. The Gp diagnosed Type 2 on the Wednesday on Sunday I was admitted to the hospital very ill. Please please do not take no for an answer regards establishing Type. Your Dr is seriously misinformed. https://jdrf.org.uk/information-support/about-type-1-diabetes/facts-and-figures/

Yep, I was 56. The ONLY reason they started me off on insulin straight away is because I was slim. I did present with very high levels and ketones but even that had them umming & ah'ing whilst I was in hospital. Because of being slim they did the extra tests (C peptide and antibodies) and then discovered it WAS type 1. A stone or two extra and I would have had months of becoming more ill.

Reactions: dmhmsh

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree with the previous posters that the first thing you need to find out is the type of diabetes you have. If necessary visit another doctor. I find your doctors attitude quite bizarre. Without knowing the type no one can help you.

If you are type 2 I'm a low carb person but I agree with a previous poster that the most important thing is the effect that various food has on your levels. That will determine what you can safely eat. If you are type 1 the advice is a bit different.

You need to make sure the doctor is giving you the information you need to take care of your health. It is your body and you have a right to the information. Remember er- the doctor does not know your body as well as you- he/she is not as invested in your health as you are. He/she has no right to not give you the knowledge you need and almost certainly he/she doesn't have as much knowledge about diabetes as the people on this site

Good luck

Reactions: dmhmsh