What's the science on Stevia?

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anybody know what the science says about the impact of stevia on insulin levels? I was listening to a podcast with Fung/Ramos, and one of them claimed "we all now know" that even though stevia doesn't increase glucose, it does raise insulin. But when I look for studies showing this one way or another, I get a lot claims that stevia is great for controlling glucose, and nothing scientific on the effects on insulin levels. So if we all know it, why am I having a hard time finding the science behind it?

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In Ben Bikman's book "Why we get sick" under the title 'Dessert' quote:

"Dessert? Yes-with sweeteners that don't increase insulin and glucose (eg stevia, monk fruit, erythritol, etc.) you can have the sweet without the insulin spike. Nevertheless, this is something that can easily get out of hand and should be considered a rarity (ie once per week) rather than a staple..."

I've just had a search through Jason Fung's book "The Diabetes Code" for stevia and the search returned nothing. He does mention sweeteners though in Chapter 8, quote:

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating: we have used large and increasing amounts of these sweeteners in our diets and diabetes has not gone away. So we can debate why artificial sweeteners should work, but the bottom line is they do not."

BigNorsk

Stevia gets confusing because of what it is often mixed with. Many of the stevia products with stevia in big letters aren’t bery good. If you get pure stevia, it seems fine.

Reactions: Roggg