What's your normal blood sugar range? - Type 1's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey there!

So - I've been diabetic from the age of 9 - I'm now 29 years old. My usual HBA1C is between 6.4 - 7.2 (I know could be a lot better). Recently, I've been getting concerned - I'm a mum of three and I work full-time - so I try and keep my sugars slightly higher while at work - concerned about hypos.
In a morning I'm always between 6 - 9, I'm always my highest in the mornings.
If I eat almost anything with high carb (even with higher insulin dosages) - I can go to 15-18! So I try to restrict anything carb as much as possible.

But I wondered what people really are during the day/mornings that are also type one? I keep reading about people having perfect blood scores between 4 and 5 for example and I find it so disheartening. The only thing that seems to work for me to even stay at this level is to fast and eat when necessary, small amounts, low carb.

I'm just curious if anyone could share? Thank you.

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there!

So - I've been diabetic from the age of 9 - I'm now 29 years old. My usual HBA1C is between 6.4 - 7.2 (I know could be a lot better). Recently, I've been getting concerned - I'm a mum of three and I work full-time - so I try and keep my sugars slightly higher while at work - concerned about hypos.
If I eat almost anything with high carb (even with higher insulin dosages) - I can go to 15-18! So I try to restrict anything carb as much as possible.

But I wondered what people really are during the day/mornings that are also type one? I keep reading about people having perfect blood scores between 4 and 5 for example and I find it so disheartening. The only thing that seems to work for me to even stay at this level is to fast and eat when necessary, small amounts, low carb.

Hi
I am type 1 and just like you my after breakfast numbers usually average around 15 this is because probably like you I eat a few carbs in order to get through the 5 hour morning at work. I have recently though given up my usual breakfast and just eat apple and cheese in order to avoid the teen numbers. On some days this is OK and I go up to 9 which is better than 15 but on other days it will go up to 13-and just like you I do accurately carb count. Mornings especially are a nightmare that I can only put down to stress at work. My HBA1C is around 7 - I am much older than you- but work stress often screws up my numbers and occasionally it is just fine.
Don't know if this helps.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to wake up anywhere between 6.5 and 8. I'm then usually under 7 until I have to sit at a desk all day. Then I sit between 9-12 and if i increase my insulin dose I hypo at around 4pm when I start to move around more.

Hba1c has been around 56 since last Nov which is frustrating.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hey there!

Don't get too disheartened. Whilst some T1's get away with eating anything there are plenty of us for whom this is a struggle.

I limit my carbs to around 30 to 40g per meal most times and above this my BGs usually end up in the teens. If I inject enough to stop this then I hypo afterwards.

When does you BG go above 15? Is this after breakfast or after lunch? What are you actually eating? As a busy mother of 3, is stress playing a role in raising your levels?