1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

When can you say, your blood sugars are under control?

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Starfish18, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Member496333

Member496333 · Guest

Probably less than one might think, but even more worrisome is how many people may have their blood sugar under control, but have no clue that they are requiring huge and unrelenting quantities of insulin in order to achieve it. Even most GPs don’t seem to understand the significance, so there’s zero chance that it would ever cross the mind of the uninformed layperson.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

I hear you, Jim. And so presumably even though the blood sugar levels are under control in the shorter term, they are not really at all, not in the long term.

3. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

From a T2D perspective IMO
    • When you have non-diabetic HbA1c results over an extended period
    • When your fasting BG level is nearly always at the level you aim for
    • When you don't have many unnecessary spikes in BG
    • And for me, when I don't have to think about Diabetes very often

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Member496333

Member496333 · Guest

Well, probably in more individuals than we would like to think. Hyperinsulinemia can precede a clinical diabetes diagnosis by a decade or more, and considering the apparent epidemic in cases of diabetes, I dread to think how many more are unwittingly waiting for the inevitable. In the US, some estimate that up to 80% of the population have hyperinsulinemia. The world is heading for metablic meltdown :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Listlad

I agree and with the OP in mind, it could be argued that members on this forum are more in control of their blood sugar levels than Joe Public, these days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Member496333

Member496333 · Guest

Very possibly. I would think there are a great many undiagnosed full-diabetics, even. Lots of people don’t go for regular health checks. I was one of them! My diagnosis came about because an optician found diabetic retinopathy during a regular prescription eye exam :nurse:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Listlad

Very interesting Jim. I didn’t realise that.

8. Member496333

Member496333 · Guest

No reason why you would :D

Anyway we will soon be accused of derailing, so...

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Pippa1988

Pippa1988 Type 1 · Member

Can I ask what pump you use that connects to your watch in that way? I’ve injected since diagnosis in 1992 but having some issues and think it’s time for a pump...

10. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

My Omnipod pump doesn’t connect to my watch, but I believe there’s a Medtronic loop system that has CGM integrated. The watch is connected to my Libre sensor via a MiaoMiao Bluetooth transmitter, and for now the two systems are completely separate.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

Same here.

12. JAT1

JAT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't think I am in 'control'. My glucose levels stay in range due to insulin injected and eating carefully. Events in my life that cause a greater amount of emotion affect my glucose levels more than food and exercise. For instance when our dog died I went hypo in minutes. At work I get hypo feelings and do something about that immediately just because of the pace. I'm absolutely not in control of my appetite and obey its command immediately but fortunately I just keep eating cheese and red cabbage until I'm so full I can hardly believe a little person like me could eat so very very much. I believe there is a greater intelligence that I share my body with (I believe this is true for others as well). It's the greater intelligence that controls me and knows me better than I do myself.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

@Starfish18 I got my hba1c blood test result back yesterday, on the test report it states that:

I have mine under very good control at this point in time at 34 mmol/mol or 5.3%%.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mplyon

Mplyon Type 2 · Member

If I had a blood sugar reading between 5.3 and 6.0 I wouldn't consider myself as being diabetic

15. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Imagine you have a bucket with a hole in the side. If you never fill it up to the hole then the bucket seems perfect but it isn't. If you have good control of diabetes you are avoiding the consequences but it hasn't gone away.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Emma_369

Emma_369 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

For me, low carb allows me to stay in those ranges - for now. I’d rather stay in the ‘safe zone’ for as long as is possible than push my boundaries and risk complications. I’m 33 - need to live with this illness for a good many years. Whilst I can achieve numbers like that in my opinion that I should strive to stick to them

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Mplyon

Mplyon Type 2 · Member

I have been on a low carb diet for two years now trying to get my blood sugar down to normal but I can't do it I have lost to much weight as I was only 8 stone at the start and I am now 7 stone 3 but my sugar is between 6.2 and 7.8 I am so paranoid about what I eat my husband tells me off

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. sunnybouy77

sunnybouy77 Type 2 · Active Member

Never, at 60 I've adopted the intermittent fasting way of life for the past 3 Months, ay. My lowest weight in 25 years, T2 for two years now, no meds and feeling fantastic.

Would not wa t to go back and eat **** again, insanity

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Listlad

Good analogy.

Reminds me of a song though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Spl@

Spl@ Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Adding the pre diabetic angle.

My 1c is now well into non diabetic levels and I feel better than I have in decades. Even after meals over 6 is rare and haven't seen a 7 since pizza Gate.

I have most likely saved my pancreas from total meltdown avoiding t2. So my numbers are pretty much like a normal person on a good diet.

But.....

I am coming to the belief after a lot of reading that I have had mild rh for years. My late teens at a guess.

I now stay sharp and bright all day. Just eating a fraction of what I used to. Its amazing. Since dumping carbs my body no longer demands a snooze to get through the day.

I would say it's your lifestyle you need to control. The bg will follow.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook