When do I...

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
need to call the ambulance.

I caught some form of digestive bug this week. As per usual the symptoms followed the regular route:
feeling sick
high temperature (101)
sweating until bedding is soaked through
gut cramps
actual vomiting (many, many times)
explosive diarrhoea
inability to keep anything down (even a teaspoon of lukewarm water)
and hence dehydration

I monitor bg throughout this, it's between 12 and 18. I really don't want to take more insulin, because if my body decides violent vomiting is actually exercise, my bg may go down into hypo - and I can't eat to raise it. Ketones are consistently less than five.

By the time I've thrown up three or four times I'm not thinking terribly clearly. I know that if I call the NHS 111 line, they send an ambulance at the repeated vomiting stage. The thing is, I held on past that stage today, and after a few quiet hours I'm now slowly rehydrating. I didn't NEED an ambulance.

So, at what point should I actually call for an ambulance? Most times all I really need is a litre of Hartmann's and an anti-emetic shot, which is three or four hours in hospital and home again. Do I wait until my ketones are going up? I don't want to call out an ambulance if I don't really need one.

Oh, and it has to be ambulance to hospital, because I don't drive, and the only bus I could catch is once an hour and takes about an hour to get there.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Seacrow, Sorry to hear of your troubles. I was told by my doctor that with fluid loss if I had not been able to pass urine for more than 12 to 18 hours that was a sign of dehydration and could threaten the kidneys so calling an ambulance, getting to hospital was a priority. The above does not apply to children he said as they dehydrate quicker than adults.