When do you see carb meals on the meter?

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So yesterday I had a fast-food meal for lunch. This was planned so I feel no guilt, but to se what impact it would have, I did a 2 hour post-prandial glucose reading. At 2 hours, I had a reading of 5.3 mol/l. This was pretty encouraging since it basically suggests my body handled the carbs perfectly, although a pre-prandial reading would be necessary to say for sure, although I can't imagine a reading would be possible where the 5.3 is anything but excellent.

This morning however, my bg reading is 7.3. I have been typically in the low 6 or high 5 range for morning readings so it's up a fair bit from what I've come to expect.

So my question is, coincidence, or consequence? Is it common to see the effects of diet delayed like that?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes it can take me a couple of days for my numbers back to normal.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Roggg it will really depend upon what you ate, the fat content and so on. One of the things I’ve learned from wearing a Libre is that the post meal rise can come several hours later, as well as provoking the liver into extra action in the morning. And as @xfieldok says, it can take a few days to sort out.