When eating a low carb diet, should we change the way that the MDI model is used?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Spiker, if you look at the picture below, you see from about 9.30 that there's a slight incline. For breakfast 2 hours earlier I ate smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.
As far as I can work out, this is the Gluconeogenesis effect kicking in. My rapid acting is mostly done by this point so there's nothing to repress the liver. Two hours later at 11.30 I've gained 2mmol/l (no additional rapid shot done to demonstrate GNG effect). At the lower basal level, this incline was greater.
Normally at the two hour mark I'll take 1.5 to 2 u to counter the upward pressure.
In a fasted state, at the previous lower level of insulin, I simply see a flat trace.

f4d07809619e325a809ce4a345e4c636.jpg

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Since the last post on this topic I've had what I'd describe as a couple of chaotic days. Due to various meetings and the like, I ate rather more erratically than normal and the downside to an increased basal became blindingly obvious. Without the protein to gluconeogenesise, there was nothing to counter the uptick in basal and my bg level did the obvious thing and dropped. It was easy enough to stabilise but demonstrates the downside of modifying basal rates to take into account effects of protein. The result was that it also threw my I:C ratios out somewhat....

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes.

(in response to OP. Now I'm back on MDI)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Allow me to illustrate the point using an experiment I call the "Eating Too Many Chicken McNuggets To Ruin Your Blood Sugar And The Rest Of Your Day" experiment.

A box of 20 nuggets is 320g and has 48g carb, 50g protein, 64g fat. Notice that's a helluvalottava lotta fat.
Using a handy bolus ratio and pens, wack on 48g carb worth of insulin and to be safe also dose for the 50g protein (1/3 of it my case - this is well tested, I go hypo without fail if I dose higher than 1/3).

Retire to a safe distance and simmer for 4 hours. Resulting blood sugar - 17.4 mmol/L. (Needless to say it was a shiny, showroom-new 6.0 mmol/L at the start of the experiment).

I think that's pretty conclusive proof of a powerful transient "carb intolerance" ( * ) effect from dietary fat. Apart from all that namby pamby **** about repeatability, prior hypothesis, controlled conditions, blind placebos, yadda yadda.

Please note: No alcoholic degenerate defrocked elder priests were harmed during this experiment. Much.

( * ) go on, try and get me to say "insulin resistance". I double-dares ya, ya gob**ite!)

Reactions: 7 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That sounds like my fish and chips experiment..... I managed to control my blood sugar until I went to bed (for four hours), after which it escalated wildly.

minez

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim2000s did you ever receive the insuflon? which one did you like better between the two? I have friend that might be interested in using one of this.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just discovered this thread and I'm loving it. Please continue!