When is it going to stop

mcwhiteyoh

Hi,

I was diagnosed in June with an hba1c of 11% and started taking 2 x 80mg glicazide per day. My bmi was 26.7.

The pills worked for a few weeks but average readings were back in the 10's. Over the coming weeks my doses went up, readings stabalised for a couple of weeks, and started going up again. I now take 1g metformin and 240 mg of gliclazide per day.

My hba1c went from 11% to 7.3% in september, but my last reading was 8.3 (new reading is 66). My BMI rose to 29, but im starting to lose weight again which is good.

I eat well, i dont eat between meals, and my only vice is alcohol. Even then i drink 2 or 3 pints of lager, then a glass of wine on a night out to counter balance my bs

Im not at the stage of calling the dsn again as my averages for december so far is 11.5 mmol.

What i would like to know is when would insulin need to be considered? Would it be when im on the maximum doses of both? as the metformin makes me feel rather ******.

Tracey69

Hi and welcome,
I am a type 1 on insulin and metformin and other drugs beside diabetic meds.
I was given metformin on top of insulin to try and cut back on the amount of insulin i was taken, it has helped.
I'm not totally sure but i think if you don't or can't get your sugar levels correct they may think about it in the future.
But all i can say is try your hardest by carb counting, if you look on the forum their is a carb counting site, you may find this helpful.
Please feel free to keep in touch.
Hope all goes well
Tracey

mcwhiteyoh

Thanks Tracey,

Its just frustrating as I dont think the answer is to just keep taking more pills. I will definitely learn how to carb count as I just want my numbers to settle to where they are supposed to be. Especially since after taking more pills, starting to lose weight, and my 1c going up again, id expect the opposite to happen.

I have to go and see the dsn for a review on the 20th so im going to get a list of questions together and get my moneys worth

paul