When should I be worried?

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m type 1 diagnosed 4 years ago age 21. My 17 month old son was “playing” with my finger price earlier and accidentally did it on his finger. As my monitor was there I thought why not test and his blood was 8... I immediately did it again on his heel this time and got a reading of 5.8 so it may just be there was something on his finger to interfere with the sample.

I will keep an eye over the next few days but is a reading of 8 in a young toddler something I should be worried about or is it not high enough to be an alarm to diabetes?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
his blood was 8... I immediately did it again on his heel this time and got a reading of 5.8 so it may just be there was something on his finger to interfere with the sample.
Sounds like sticky toddler fingers to me :)

Reactions: Jayden2407

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Had he just eaten? Have there been any other signs - unusually thirsty, hungry or more toilet trips (toddler so not sure where you are with nappies or loo)?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had he just eaten? Have there been any other signs - unusually thirsty, hungry or more toilet trips (toddler so not sure where you are with nappies or loo)?
There was a reading of 8 on an unwashed toddler finger followed by a reading of 5.6 on a clean toddlers heel....

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
I think any unusual reading should be followed by another test that reduces possible factors such as sugar on the skin, which you did, and it shows the first reading was not reliable and should be ignored. But good on you for asking, that's the right thing to do. You sound like a very good Mum! I am a worrier and would be a mess if I had a small child to look after. You are doing a great job.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
There was a reading of 8 on an unwashed toddler finger followed by a reading of 5.6 on a clean toddlers heel....
Yes. And it all probably is ok. And if the answers to my questions about other signs are negative then it should provide some reassurance.